E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > First time negotiating with dealer.. help me stick it to them :)

07-20-2005, 09:48 AM   #1
diablo
Rep
Drives: E90 hopefully

Negotiating with dealer.. just need help with some simple questions

I'll be negotiating for a stripped down 325i soon in the NY/NJ area. I've never negotiated for a new car before so have a few questions I hope you guys can help answer

1) I have a car to trade in. Do I negotiate the new car's price down to the lowest they'll go and then bring up the trade-in value? Will they be pissed that I hid the ball by not mentioning the trade-in or even saying no when they first ask about a trade-in?

2) In the NY/NJ area what's been the generally accepted prices (how much under MSRP/over invoice have you tri-staters been able to get. I know there's a prices paid thread but hopefully ppl who didn't answer that thread can respond here too.

3) If the particular dealer happens to not have a certain configuration I want in stock can they easily have one shipped over from other dealers? I need the car immediately so can't wait for a custom order.

Thanks all and hoping to join your ranks soon!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2005, 10:30 AM   #2
diablo
Rep

Anyone? I'm hoping to go to the dealer this afternoon. Responses most appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2005, 10:36 AM   #3
ssangjune
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

If I were you, i'd re-think getting a 325i bare-boned. at least consider the sp pkg. It's gona be coming w/ 16" small donuts that will look terrible on your car. IMO i think a E90 w/ 16" makes it look like a civic from afar.
      07-20-2005, 10:50 AM   #4
itznin
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo
I'll be negotiating for a stripped down 325i soon in the NY/NJ area. I've never negotiated for a new car before so have a few questions I hope you guys can help answer

1) I have a car to trade in. Do I negotiate the new car's price down to the lowest they'll go and then bring up the trade-in value? Will they be pissed that I hid the ball by not mentioning the trade-in or even saying no when they first ask about a trade-in?

2) In the NY/NJ area what's been the generally accepted prices (how much under MSRP/over invoice have you tri-staters been able to get. I know there's a prices paid thread but hopefully ppl who didn't answer that thread can respond here too.

3) If the particular dealer happens to not have a certain configuration I want in stock can they easily have one shipped over from other dealers? I need the car immediately so can't wait for a custom order.

1) There are other threads on this, do a search.

But in my opinion I would negotiate the best possible deal and throw the trade-in talk in last.

2) In NY/NJ you can easily get $1,000 - $1,500 over invoice.

3) Don't show the dealer how desperate you are for the car (your need for the car immediately will really hurt your negotiation)

As stated in the above reply, I don't recommend getting the stripped down 325i. At least the sports package is NECESSARY.

If you get a BMW with NOTHING in it you are simply buying it for the name.

Just IMO
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2005, 01:35 PM   #5
Dani
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325I Graphite

my E90 only has metallic paint and heated seats and I am not upset about not getting anything else. It is an amazing car without adding any packages to it. Don't feel pressured to add stuff just cause most people do.
I went to Carmax and got a trade in quote before goign to BMW (Carmax will buy it even if you don't buy from them). Then I negotiated a price on my E90 - don't consider paying more than $1500 over invoice. Then after that was over I got a trade in quote which was $300 over what Carmax quoted (I didn't tell them the Carmax price) so I traded it in.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2005, 07:37 PM   #6
CC 330i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum

Quote:

I hope I am not too late to help you out.

1. When they ask about trade in, say no, you have a private buyer for your car at X amount, whatever is fair on the private market. (go to www.kbb.com). If you really want to trade it in, tell them you have a private buyer anyway, even if you don't. (you will see why later). DO NOT tell them you are going to trade the car in. Absolutely refuse to discuss it.
Then have the dealer try to find the exact car you want if they don't have it. It's actually better to locate it yourself by calling every dealer in your region and asking what they have available, and then telling your dealer that you know where they can get the car you want. (This becomes important later.) They can get it shipped, but may want/need to charge you for shipping. This should be no more than $600 bucks if it is in the same region. If you can wait until their normal delivery truck comes, it usually costs them less. (they get deliveries all the time from the distribution center and they usually follow a route that includes many dealers in a region). Ask about this. Waiting a few more days might save you some money.

Try to negotiate below sticker price. I did back in May, so you should be able to also, but these cars are hot so you may not get much off.
Tell them you found the car for them at another dealer, and you want them to get the business, and in return you want less than sticker... You could have gone to the other dealer where you located the car. (see how locating it yourself gives you leverage?)
Agree on a price. Don't sign anything. You don't want to sign anything until the car arrives in good condition. They might want a deposit. If they insist, give them a credit card deposit. Then ask them when the car will arrive.
Then a day or two before the car arrives, call them and say the private sale of your car fell through and you will need a month to get another buyer. They will most likely offer to buy your car from you as a trade in. Tell them you have to get X amount for the car or you can't do the deal. Be firm. They will probably be able to discount your car enough to pay you what you want (within reason) for your trade in. (especially if you didn't get much discount in the first place). Trust me, if faced with losing the sale, they will take less profit on the new car, and they will never agree to lose money, so take heart in that.

I know it sounds sneaky, but it happened to me for real, and it worked out great. I didn't get quite what I wanted for the trade in, but it was about $1,500 more than what I would have got otherwise, and I didn't have to hassle with selling the car. Plus, the dealers make thousands of dollars being sneaky, and will never sell a car at a loss, so you should use whatever tactics will work.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2005, 04:37 PM   #7
RichP
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Just for your reference; I dealt with Anthony Amato at Wide World of Cars in Spring Valley, NY. The price was good, and he, and that dealership in general, are very curteous and reasonable to deal with. I suggest giving them a call; I have had it with CT dealerships!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2005, 04:57 PM   #8
jasondnguyen
Rep
Drives: bmw 325i

i just have some questions ?

i just ordered my 06 bmw 325 i alpine white with sport package automatic transmission and xenon adaptive headlights for $ 35,500 out the door , do you guys think this is a good deal?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2005, 09:39 PM   #9
wac77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 330i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasondnguyen
i just ordered my 06 bmw 325 i alpine white with sport package automatic transmission and xenon adaptive headlights for $ 35,500 out the door , do you guys think this is a good deal?
Unless you give us the price before tax and registration, which are state dependant, we cannot tell you.
      07-22-2005, 10:48 PM   #10
e90fanatic
Absolute0
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Has a Roundel

Quote:
Originally Posted by itznin
1) There are other threads on this, do a search.

But in my opinion I would negotiate the best possible deal and throw the trade-in talk in last.

2) In NY/NJ you can easily get $1,000 - $1,500 over invoice.

3) Don't show the dealer how desperate you are for the car (your need for the car immediately will really hurt your negotiation)

As stated in the above reply, I don't recommend getting the stripped down 325i. At least the sports package is NECESSARY.

If you get a BMW with NOTHING in it you are simply buying it for the name.

Just IMO
$1000-1500 over invoice? Isn't that only for ED?
      07-23-2005, 07:14 AM   #11
diablo
Rep

Thanks for the advice everyone this forum is awesome. I just negotiated for a pretty bare 325 for $1150 over invoice and got a good trade in value on my current car. I didn't bring up the trade in until I'd gotten the price for the E90. Car coming in 2 weeks, can't wait! Thx again.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2005, 07:16 AM   #12
diablo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90fanatic
Nope, lots of ppl here seem to have gotten $1000-1500 invoice. I just got $1200 over invoice at a NJ dealer, and I was able to get a similar quote from more than one dealer.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2005, 07:15 PM   #13
dmbigs
Private
Rep
Drives: AW 335i

and dealers are the liars? ....nothing like being too weak to properly negotiate a deal; there are plenty of dealers who would love to give you a fair deal, dont resort to deception and stupid internet tactics like keeping your trade hidden....just be upfront and make it clear under what terms youd like to purchase the car, and if they are not interested stick to your guns and go elsewhere....especially in ny nj (there are tons of bmw dealers)....oyster bay bmw gave me 1500 off msrp almost 2 months ago without any deception on my part...and for your trade, the dealer must resell your car so expecting a private sale price on a trade is not only unrealistic but unreasonable...use a wholesale guide like galves, and work up from there.....youd be amazed how far intelligence and honesty will get you in negotiation....(i know im gonna get flamed on how dealers are sneaky, but if you are dealing with a shady dealer, i doubt you want to purchase from them anyway.....a car purchase is usually the beginning of a relationship not the end of one.)
      07-23-2005, 10:49 PM   #14
itznin
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90fanatic
No if you call the dealer and say that is what you want to pay and not a dime more, they will work with you.

Competition is tight here...

$1,500 over invoice is EASY to do.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2005, 06:53 AM   #15
Execution
The Executive
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90-325 ZSP Black/Black

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssangjune
If I were you, i'd re-think getting a 325i bare-boned. at least consider the sp pkg. It's gona be coming w/ 16" small donuts that will look terrible on your car. IMO i think a E90 w/ 16" makes it look like a civic from afar.

DITTO ...

My vehicle was ordered with:
- Auto Trans
- Sport Pack
- Xenon Lights
- Power Seats
- Power Shades

MSRP was $36,240

My Sale Price $33,945 including mats (approx $400 over invoice because I used to sell cars at that dealer)

Picked it up on May 9th. A couple of months months later, I switched my shoes to 19" ASA AR1's.

Now 4,500 miles and still counting ... every mile has been spectacular!

Execution

Execution - The Executive:
E90 on ASA AR-1's front 19 x 8.5; rear 19 x 9.5

VEMMA & VERVE
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2005, 11:30 AM   #16
johnfkitchen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 323is & 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbigs
<snip>.....youd be amazed how far intelligence and honesty will get you in negotiation....(i know im gonna get flamed on how dealers are sneaky, but if you are dealing with a shady dealer, i doubt you want to purchase from them anyway.....a car purchase is usually the beginning of a relationship not the end of one.)
dmbigs, I have to heartily agree with you. Beginning the car buying process with an attitude of "help me stick it to them" is a recipe for a poor relationship. The transaction should be a win for both parties. Diablo, you can not expect to be treated with respect if you walk in with that attitude of disrepect. And if you do "stick it to them", then you'll no doubt get what you deserve in the long run.

1998 323is SP manual with all the goodies in ArktisSilber + 330i auto SP PP CW iDrive/Nav SatRadio Active Steering Arktis/Beige/Poplar
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2005, 11:43 AM   #17
abc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 325

Quote:
Thanks for the advice everyone this forum is awesome. I just negotiated for a pretty bare 325 for $1150 over invoice and got a good trade in value on my current car. I didn't bring up the trade in until I'd gotten the price for the E90. Car coming in 2 weeks, can't wait! Thx again.
you lucky you didnt have to bring up the tradein disussion... could have easily had it that the dealer straight up asked you...so, trading anything in? Then you'd have to BS...
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2005, 11:48 AM   #18
diablo
Rep

Thanks for all the responses, I didn't mean the title of this thread to be malicious. I was sort of joking around when I said stick it to the dealer, hence the smilie face

Thanks to this forum I knew exactly what I wanted to pay so I just called to dealers and said, here's what I want to pay for a car with these options, can you do it or not, then once one accepted I brought up the trade-in. What would we do without the information we share on here!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2005, 08:50 PM   #19
CC 330i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbigs
and dealers are the liars? ....nothing like being too weak to properly negotiate a deal; there are plenty of dealers who would love to give you a fair deal, dont resort to deception and stupid internet tactics like keeping your trade hidden....just be upfront and make it clear under what terms youd like to purchase the car, and if they are not interested stick to your guns and go elsewhere....especially in ny nj (there are tons of bmw dealers)....oyster bay bmw gave me 1500 off msrp almost 2 months ago without any deception on my part...and for your trade, the dealer must resell your car so expecting a private sale price on a trade is not only unrealistic but unreasonable...use a wholesale guide like galves, and work up from there.....youd be amazed how far intelligence and honesty will get you in negotiation....(i know im gonna get flamed on how dealers are sneaky, but if you are dealing with a shady dealer, i doubt you want to purchase from them anyway.....a car purchase is usually the beginning of a relationship not the end of one.)
Not discussing a trade in until after negotiating a price is not deceptive. It simplifies the process. Telling them that you have a private buyer is a good way to get them off your back about a trade and being able to move on to negotiating the new car sales price. In my case it wasn't deceptive to tell them I had a private buyer because I did. Then when the deal fell through the dealer offered to buy my car at nearly what the private buyer had agreed to. Plus, I already had a good sales price on the new car, so it worked out great. If you discuss the trade-in up front, they will ream you, I promise. But you will think you are getting great deal because they will discount your car by 5000 dollars and then give you 5000 dollars less that you could have had for the trade in. Trust me. Why do you think that is always the first question they ask you? I am not advocating them taking a loss on the trade-in, but a loss on the trade in can still work for them if they simply discount the sales price of the new car a little more... For example, you could pay sticker for the new car, and the dealer could give you 100% private party value for the trade, and it would still be a win-win for you and the dealer because they have several thousand at least in margin. Trust me, they will not give you one penny more than they want to in either discount price or trade-in.

I am all for building a good relationship with your sales rep. My wife and I took he and his wife out to dinner after the sale. He offered to pay but I insisted. Turns out his wife works at the same law office as my friend down the street. I consider him a friend. In fact, I went out of my way to buy the car from him and he knew it.

But make no mistake, I am not going to give him thousands of dollars that I could have had in my own pocket if it meant fibbing a little bit. Dealers do it all the time to make a buck, so you might as well use the same tactic. They don't hold it against you, trust me. Any time they sell a car, it is a win for them. They probably will respect you more if you outsmart them a little bit. (I don't know of one car sale that happened when the dealer lost money. I am sure it may have happened once or twice, but they are a little smarter than that.)

And I also did hard negotiating with the sales manager on the car price (with the trade-in out of the picture) that lasted 2 hours and was very friendly and ended up getting me about $1500 off sticker. I basically wore him down. It's your money, and if you want to give it away (and I have done this several times so I know), you won't get any more phone calls from your salesperson after the sale than if you drove a hard bargain and gave them very little in profit.
Appreciate 0