E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Battery Registration w/ ECS Schwaben Scanner

08-06-2017, 07:39 PM   #1
Cdutch513
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 BMW 328i

Garage List
2010 BMW 328I  [0.00]
Battery Registration w/ ECS Schwaben Scanner

So I had to do this without any info. I knew that the scanner could do it, but didn't know what to do.

Before you start make sure you grab some info off the battery. You need the Matrix code(11 digit alphanumeric code), most replacement batteries do not come with it, OR a supplier code(6 digit numeric code). You also need the "polarity" code which is suppose to be stamped on the negative terminal. (4 digits)

1.Make sure your battery is connected properly before beginning.
2.Plug in scanner, select BMW, select automatic. It will collect your vin then click continue.
3.Go to maintenance, then body, then power supply(battery).
4.Chose register battery.
It will ask you if you are replacing with the same battery, different ah, or switching to AGM. (I chose same battery because that it was I installed.)
It will then give you some information about the info I told you to gather before starting.
Next it will ask you if there is a matrix code(if you have it, enter it. If not, select no)
If no was selected it will ask for supplier code.
Then it will ask you for polarity code. (number stamped on negative terminal)
Then it will register and show you a list of how many times a battery was registered with mileage of each register.

I did not know the supplier code or polarity code. I just chose the only 6 digit number on that I could find. nothing was stamped on my negative terminal either so I just used the date it was put in service. I was freaking out so I posted for help and was informed by BimmerGeeks that those two parts aren't really needed, but it still needs to be entered.
      09-07-2017, 12:10 PM   #2
prican_2000
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 335i M-Sport

THANK YOU for taking the time to post this.

I just recently bought another 335 and it has an aftermarket battery (CARQUEST - I think) and it has a slow to crank/start since we've bought it but this morning my wife tells me that it was having a hard time starting this morning and that it stalled a long time before it came on. Pretty sure that the new battery was never registered so I am hoping that with the registration it will solve all of these issues.
Grey 08 E92 335xi:20% Tint, Dynavin N6 Nav, Golf Tee Mod, 17x9 Apex ARC-8, AFE CAI -GONE
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 12:16 PM   #3
Cdutch513
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 BMW 328i

Garage List
2010 BMW 328I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by prican_2000 View Post
THANK YOU for taking the time to post this.

I just recently bought another 335 and it has an aftermarket battery (CARQUEST - I think) and it has a slow to crank/start since we've bought it but this morning my wife tells me that it was having a hard time starting this morning and that it stalled a long time before it came on. Pretty sure that the new battery was never registered so I am hoping that with the registration it will solve all of these issues.
Personally I don't think registering an old battery would be a good idea. When you register a new battery the car thinks it has good charge still so it doesn't use the alternator as much and will put excessive strain on the old battery. You should probably replace he battery then register the new one
      11-05-2017, 03:00 PM   #4
kaw900r
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 325xi

Register battery how

2006 325xi changed battery but can't get it to register with BMWLogger I get packet error, ncsexpert not compatible, tools32 no go. Any suggestions to get this registered so I can see if there is any other issues? Also when it starts everything is fine then after a few minutes the battery comes up in red. Any help wood be appreciated. Scanned and none of the errors ref battery or alternator so it seems like just the registration needs to be done. t/u
Appreciate 0