BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > General 7-series (G11) Discussions

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-23-2018, 12:01 PM   #1
ScottSinger
Brigadier General
1236
Rep
3,724
Posts

Drives: M235i 6spd
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (0)

DeMuro reviews the M760

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Appreciate 7
      03-23-2018, 01:29 PM   #2
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
67
Rep
626
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: East England

iTrader: (0)

Thanks, enjoyed watching that. A very detailed video, wish more of them where of a reasonable length like this.

He makes some good and fair points, the car did well overall. Just got to make it a wee bit longer to get mine, hopefully next week.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 02:24 PM   #3
Germanauto
Colonel
Germanauto's Avatar
United_States
2247
Rep
2,252
Posts

Drives: BMW, Lexus
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NW and Midwest

iTrader: (0)

Great vid as usual for Dougie.

A lot of the options in this car can be had even on a 740, I wish he would have made that known.

The 7er is kind of weird, as it is a truly well-engineered automobile with impeccable build quality and class-leading tech. However, it is sort of let down simply by a dull dash/IP design and ho-hum exterior styling.

It's just nuts how every team in project development can do an outstanding job but due to the design dept's conservative appraoch, all the other excellent aspects of a car get overlooked.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 03:01 PM   #4
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
51
Rep
461
Posts

Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Bristol, UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Thanks Scottsinger, hadn't seen this yet and enjoyed it. ^

I like the style as it is a bit geeky but not over the top, fun and personable so not clinical.

I know everyone talks about the conservative style and wishes it was more eye catching...but to be honest, I love it, not because it looks good, its only meh, and the exterior of the S is better looking, BUT it is a stunning car and a sleeper. (whether a 760 or a 730). I am a fan of understatement, when you're in it, you know what you have and have a big cheshire cat grin on your face but those around you outside think this is just another 5 series...ho hum, nothing to see here...so be it, I know what I have and especially in this guise, it could surprise many cars on the road. ^

I love that it is not so common, wouldn't want it to be an everyman's car and all the reviews I've seen until this one effectively say 'why buy a 7 when you can get everything in the 5...well, not quite, ride quality, options, price, all seem better value IF one can find a space big enough to park the beast!

My only surprise about this one was that the 760 (US Spec?) didn't have laser lights? Given this has many other features and options it was surprising to see no blue or mention...he'd have loved that as well!

Great video, thanks for sharing it.

Safe travels.
__________________
Previously: 2011 F01 730d, 2008 E90 318d, 1996 E36 318i Cabrio (D)
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 03:35 PM   #5
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
67
Rep
626
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: East England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Great vid as usual for Dougie.

A lot of the options in this car can be had even on a 740, I wish he would have made that known.

The 7er is kind of weird, as it is a truly well-engineered automobile with impeccable build quality and class-leading tech. However, it is sort of let down simply by a dull dash/IP design and ho-hum exterior styling.

It's just nuts how every team in project development can do an outstanding job but due to the design dept's conservative appraoch, all the other excellent aspects of a car get overlooked.
True, you can spec a lower 7 up to be almost the same as the M760. It's more that at least in the UK the car comes with all the options virtually as standard, there's only about 3 things they leave out that you can add vs probably 40 / 50+ options on the lower 7 series models.

I quite like that it doesn't jump out too much... at least without bright blue paint anyway. Sometimes you don't want the world plus dog knowing your car is super expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
My only surprise about this one was that the 760 (US Spec?) didn't have laser lights? Given this has many other features and options it was surprising to see no blue or mention...he'd have loved that as well!
Don't believe lasers are legal in the US. Only us European's can weld them responsibly Just kidding my American friends
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 06:16 AM   #6
Nivarox
Quadrex
Nivarox's Avatar
309
Rep
1,156
Posts

Drives: BMW G30 530 XDrive
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Close To BMW Dealer

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for letting us know , let's see it
__________________
Comparing BMW i8 to Tesla Is Like Comparing Apples to Pineapples
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 12:50 PM   #7
Bobby P
Private First Class
54
Rep
149
Posts

Drives: M240i Xdrive
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: CANADA

iTrader: (0)

Everyone needs to own a V12 at some point in their life.
Appreciate 13
1230vani355.50
Hedoniste924.50
otay511.00
andrewc894740.00
Jay75780.50
skewzm339.50
spuntyb1112.00
F831299.00
Robin_NL3791.00

      03-24-2018, 01:02 PM   #8
Germanauto
Colonel
Germanauto's Avatar
United_States
2247
Rep
2,252
Posts

Drives: BMW, Lexus
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NW and Midwest

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post

I quite like that it doesn't jump out too much... at least without bright blue paint anyway. Sometimes you don't want the world plus dog knowing your car is super expensive.
I understand your point, but I think the market agrees that the 7er is just a tad too understated. It's a handsome car, but looks like a "big BMW" rather than something truly special like the S-class, which looks very regal and stately.

Also, sitting inside the Merc feels like an occasion, whereas in the 7er it's like a bigger 3-series. Very similar dash design.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 01:43 PM   #9
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
67
Rep
626
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: East England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I understand your point, but I think the market agrees that the 7er is just a tad too understated. It's a handsome car, but looks like a "big BMW" rather than something truly special like the S-class, which looks very regal and stately.

Also, sitting inside the Merc feels like an occasion, whereas in the 7er it's like a bigger 3-series. Very similar dash design.
I'm not quite 40 yet, not sure I want to regal and stately just yet

Also the S class dash has filtered down to the lower end models so again it's not that much different.

Still I understand most buyers of these cars do want to look regal and stately so likely why the Merc does sell more.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 02:02 PM   #10
einscot
Lieutenant
322
Rep
484
Posts

Drives: '17 f80 ZCP, '94 d90, '13 x5d
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: tampa bay

iTrader: (0)

won't watch - but i'm going to guess he gets in, floors it and has his dumbass little giggle laugh, "oh wow, this thing is just, well it's better than the last model version"
__________________
2017 f80: AW/Blk Merino / ZCP / ZEC / 6MT / Cameras / Car Play / Carbon Goodies / MPE w/carbon tips
Appreciate 3
sdshah579.00
JordW2.50
Wavy732.00

      03-24-2018, 03:07 PM   #11
48Laws
Lieutenant Colonel
574
Rep
1,842
Posts

Drives: '15 F80, '18 991.2 GTS
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby P View Post
Everyone needs to own a V12 at some point in their life.
Youíre not the first to have said that and I agree. Letís hope V10 TT doesnít replace this glorious engine.
Appreciate 1
Bobby P54.00

      03-24-2018, 03:53 PM   #12
IntegraXTR
Captain
142
Rep
680
Posts

Drives: MY08 E92 M3 and MY15 F80 M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Hawaii

iTrader: (4)

I've always enjoyed Doug's youtube vids...good video but as far as "features" etc, you could find most of those things in the base model 7s or even 5 series now.

Gotta love the down to earth camp counselor look he gives haha
__________________
2008 Alpineweiss III E92 M3
Amuse/Varis/CAE/BBS/BRIDE
IG: Integraxtr
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 05:44 PM   #13
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
67
Rep
626
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: East England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Laws View Post
Youíre not the first to have said that and I agree. Letís hope V10 TT doesnít replace this glorious engine.
Well a V10 TT wouldn't be the end of the world however BMW aren't going to develop a V10 TT probably ever. It's the age of downsizing. It'll be something like a V8 or V6 Hybrid.

Big engines like a V12 aren't long for this world anymore. Even the few super car makers that use them will likely hold out a bit longer but ultimately will downsize as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 08:40 PM   #14
psuibmw
Major
psuibmw's Avatar
United_States
692
Rep
1,382
Posts

Drives: 2017 F15/2011 F10/2008 E90
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Baltimore, MD

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW F10 535  [4.00]
2008 BMW E90  [0.00]
I stopped liking the 7er since the E38
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 6
MSCD1740.50
georgere397.50
WI_Rob84.00
Transfer1208.50
lab_rat167.00

      03-24-2018, 09:26 PM   #15
einscot
Lieutenant
322
Rep
484
Posts

Drives: '17 f80 ZCP, '94 d90, '13 x5d
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: tampa bay

iTrader: (0)

until i see doug and drew margary in the same room, side by side, I'm going to guess they're the same whiny bitch who knows nothing about cars or actual food
__________________
2017 f80: AW/Blk Merino / ZCP / ZEC / 6MT / Cameras / Car Play / Carbon Goodies / MPE w/carbon tips
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 10:00 PM   #16
xcusem3
Second Lieutenant
Canada
211
Rep
276
Posts

Drives: 2013 M3
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by einscot View Post
until i see doug and drew margary in the same room, side by side, I'm going to guess they're the same whiny bitch who knows nothing about cars or actual food
Who made you king shit of turd island?
__________________
CP-E DP's / Remus Race / ETS 7" FMIC / AFE DCI / Cobb V3 / ETS CP / HKS BOV
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2018, 10:57 PM   #17
adc
Major General
United_States
1148
Rep
5,529
Posts

Drives: 2015 F80 M3 ED
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MD/DC

iTrader: (6)

I was reading that the 760i is not long for this world. Maybe because of the petrol particulate filter thingie? Not sure but I recall 2018 will be the last year produced.

Too bad...
__________________

2018 F80 Santorini
2004 Z4 3.0
2014 X3 35i
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 12:12 AM   #18
48Laws
Lieutenant Colonel
574
Rep
1,842
Posts

Drives: '15 F80, '18 991.2 GTS
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post
Well a V10 TT wouldn't be the end of the world however BMW aren't going to develop a V10 TT probably ever. It's the age of downsizing. It'll be something like a V8 or V6 Hybrid.

Big engines like a V12 aren't long for this world anymore. Even the few super car makers that use them will likely hold out a bit longer but ultimately will downsize as well.
Perhaps but that configuration wouldnít set it apart from the 650i etc as itís a V8 Turbo.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 05:10 AM   #19
ArturPL
Private
ArturPL's Avatar
Poland
29
Rep
51
Posts

Drives: F30 320d xDrive LCI
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Krakůw

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
A lot of the options in this car can be had even on a 740, I wish he would have made that known.
740? He mentions lots of options You can get on 3er and most likely all other BMW models. They might be exlusive to 7er two-three generations ago but not anymore.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 08:10 AM   #20
bimmer456
Brigadier General
1063
Rep
3,384
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Pasadena, CA

iTrader: (0)

The worlds fastest depreciating car, with the s class a close second. Lose about $80k in value as soon as you leave the dealership and before the new car smell fades.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 08:18 AM   #21
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
67
Rep
626
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: East England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Laws View Post
Perhaps but that configuration wouldn’t set it apart from the 650i etc as it’s a V8 Turbo.
Well different states of tune, a 550i and M5 have the same litre V8. You can set cars apart like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArturPL View Post
740? He mentions lots of options You can get on 3er and most likely all other BMW models. They might be exlusive to 7er two-three generations ago but not anymore.
Not to deride from the great lower end models BMW make but if you think a 3 is like a 7 your deluding yourself. There's a big gulf between them in terms of quality and tech.

Last edited by FastLaneJB; 03-25-2018 at 08:27 AM.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 08:43 AM   #22
SamS
Major General
SamS's Avatar
United_States
728
Rep
6,143
Posts

Drives: 2018 X3 M40i
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArturPL View Post
740? He mentions lots of options You can get on 3er and most likely all other BMW models. They might be exlusive to 7er two-three generations ago but not anymore.
I have virtually all of those "tech" options in my G01, except for the perfume and backseat tablet. Which is nice, because even poor people (ha) like that tech!
__________________
2018 X3 M40i - current
2016 M3 - sold
2013 ActiveHybrid 3 - sold
2012 M3 coupe - sold
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:11 PM.




7post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST