E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > 2011 LCI Low Beam Failure + Questions

12-20-2018, 08:30 PM   #1
Peepers
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi & '97 Spyder GSX

2011 LCI Low Beam Failure + Questions

Hey Guys,
I couldn't seem to find anything via searches so here's my questions ....
My 2011 E92 335xi had a Low Beam Failure today (left side).
Are LCI headlights different than non-LCI when it comes to changing out the bulbs? I did a quick look under the hood and couldn't seem to find any "clips to pop" to remove the access cap to gain access to the bulbs? Did they change the way to access the bulbs on LCI models?

Also, the failure was a Low Beam failure but when I when to flick the high beams, the left side high beam didn't come on either. Are the high and low beam the same bulb??

Finally, I never really paid attention to this before ... the outter projectors are the low and high beams. What are the inner lights (appears to be halogen?) for???
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 05:39 AM   #2
Andy198712
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 325d

So your headlights are xenon but not bi xenon yeah?
Sounds like mine, low beam is xnoen the outer.
High beam is halogen and the inner lense which is textured/corrugated.

The fact both that side are out id have a look at the fuse maybe? Not sure if they’re sided but fingers crossed for a cheap fix.....

Removing the back of the headlight, the cover for the main bulbs is screwed in, no clip.

I’ve just been doing bits on mine yesterday and noticed that then.

There is an access hatch in your wheel well. Turn the latches with a coin.

But tbh what I did was removing the liner, you need an 8mm for the bolts and a 10mm for the one plastic but if it’s there, there’s a few In The wheel well and then some under the bumper then wiggle and shake and see which ones you missed.

The wheel really needs to be off for this and gives you a lot better access.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 07:57 AM   #3
dauble2k5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 VR E92 335i, 6MT

E92s had bi-xenons headlights. The outer projectors are your low and high beams. The inner light is a cornering light that comes on with the turn signal or when the wheels are turned and the headlight switch is in Auto.

In regards to changing the actual bulb, it looks as if you have to pull back the wheel liner.
Appreciate 0