BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

02-02-2021, 03:21 AM   #1
CklSpeciale
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw M4

Dealer won't give me a production number

I recently ordered a new M4. The dealer says I have their last allocation and the order has been placed, expected delivery April. I asked about my production number but they told me that they don't give out production number for launch models because other dealer could use that info to take over their allocation, which sounds like total BS to me.

What can I do in this case? How do I know that I have a allocation indeed and they won't sell my car to someone else and tell me I need to wait more time? Shall I cancel my order?

Thanks in advance guys.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 03:35 AM   #2
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by troychen728 View Post
Shall I cancel my order?
Exactly what I would do, this „other dealer" is complete BS! He is not giving the info to an other dealer, but to you! So in other words that means he does not trust you, so why should you trust him then?

I would not be confident with my dealer if it already starts like this...just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 2
Bahamut709.50
      02-02-2021, 05:47 AM   #3
Kansr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM M8

Doesn’t sound like they’ve built a good relationship with you. I made it clear during my deal, if they had an allocation for me. 12 days after my order I had my production number. Hopefully someone else can chime in and ease your mind. I have no reservations about my deal except for not having the full story on individual options. To be fair, I didn’t know I had a choice. But that’s on me. Either way, I’m happy with my outcome. Hope you can get some peace of mind brother!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 07:34 AM   #4
Bahamut
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

When I placed my order in with my dealer, I made sure they had an allocation.

Starting off, they showed me an inquiry order form to me right before submitting it to BMW and taking my deposit. A few days later, they showed me same inquiry order, but with an official production number on the heading.

I've never heard of another dealer "stealing" a production number for their own game. If it's not too late, I'd consider taking my business elsewhere.
Appreciate 1
Dr.Deep1827.00
      02-02-2021, 08:15 AM   #5
M3AWD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 AWD

Did you reach out to the sales manager?

When you build your own and order a brand new BMW, I think it is really part of the experience to get the production no. and track the status of your car from production start to delivery...

2022 G80 M3 Comp M xDrive
Appreciate 2
Dr.Deep1827.00
      02-02-2021, 08:49 AM   #6
GOLFFRR
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: GOLFFRR cart

No production number, no allocation.

might be waiting for a allocation to open up, otherwise I dont see any other reason why they wouldn't give you that info so you can track the process

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 3
      02-02-2021, 11:16 AM   #7
CklSpeciale
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut View Post
When I placed my order in with my dealer, I made sure they had an allocation.

Starting off, they showed me an inquiry order form to me right before submitting it to BMW and taking my deposit. A few days later, they showed me same inquiry order, but with an official production number on the heading.

I've never heard of another dealer "stealing" a production number for their own game. If it's not too late, I'd consider taking my business elsewhere.
I only got the empty inqury report and they refuse to give me the newer one with the production number. They told me they had a production number, but I don't know if that's true tho
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 11:18 AM   #8
CklSpeciale
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-SP0RT View Post
Did you reach out to the sales manager?

When you build your own and order a brand new BMW, I think it is really part of the experience to get the production no. and track the status of your car from production start to delivery...
Yeah exactly. Knowing everyone can track their car but I can't is just frustrating. My sales just keeps telling me that he wants to get it for me but his manager doesn't, so I asked his manager to call me.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 11:21 AM   #9
CklSpeciale
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Deep View Post
Exactly what I would do, this "other dealer" is complete BS! He is not giving the info to an other dealer, but to you! So in other words that means he does not trust you, so why should you trust him then?

I would not be confident with my dealer if it already starts like this...just my 2 cents.
You are exactly right. I don't feel I can trust them but I don't know if I can find an allocation elsewhere with April delivery assuming they are not fooling me. If things don't work out I guess I will get a M2c instead. Sad cuz I really like the G82.
Appreciate 1
Dr.Deep1827.00
      02-02-2021, 11:28 AM   #10
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
You are exactly right. I don't feel I can trust them but I don't know if I can find an allocation elsewhere with April delivery assuming they are not fooling me. If things don't work out I guess I will get a M2c instead. Sad cuz I really like the G82.
Just put your name on the list at a backup dealer. I did that with the F80 when my dealer wouldn't give me a production number. Deposits are refundable if you don't go through with a sale.
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2021, 11:41 AM   #11
Bahamut
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I only got the empty inqury report and they refuse to give me the newer one with the production number. They told me they had a production number, but I don't know if that's true tho
That's a red flag. Safe to say they don't have an allocation available for the time period you were expecting.

As mentioned by other members on this thread, your deposit should be refundable and I'd strongly consider placing a backup order with another dealer, ideally one with high sales volume since they will most likely have an allocation.
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2021, 12:16 PM   #12
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I get your point.
As others say, just do a backup deposit with an other dealer. Or get the car there and then move to another dealer once the car arrived...that should be no issue, you are free to choose where to do maintanence and so on, as long as it is an official BMW dealer

But as others mention, maybe he has no real allocation for April as he said, but wants to sell you the car and probably would tell you then - Oh, the car will arrive later

That may explain why he does not want to give you a production number, because he has none but just wants to keep you in line..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 12:44 PM   #13
CklSpeciale
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Deep View Post
I get your point.
As others say, just do a backup deposit with an other dealer. Or get the car there and then move to another dealer once the car arrived...that should be no issue, you are free to choose where to do maintanence and so on, as long as it is an official BMW dealer

But as others mention, maybe he has no real allocation for April as he said, but wants to sell you the car and probably would tell you then - Oh, the car will arrive later

That may explain why he does not want to give you a production number, because he has none but just wants to keep you in line..
Thanks! I will reach out to other dealers. Do people often put backup orders? I feel kinda bad that they customized the order for me but I tell them few months later I don't want the car.
Appreciate 1
Dr.Deep1827.00
      02-02-2021, 12:57 PM   #14
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CklSpeciale View Post
Thanks! I will reach out to other dealers. Do people often put backup orders? I fill kinda bad that they customized the order for me but I tell them few months later I don't want the car.
Yeah I would also feel a bit bad, but it looks like he is not honest with you, and on the other side, going trough a configuration is not that big deal and effort for the amount of money you are spending

Not sure about backups, I read that from time to time, but others are probably better on commenting this. I'm not from the states and here it works a bit different
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 01:30 PM   #15
CklSpeciale
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
Just put your name on the list at a backup dealer. I did that with the F80 when my dealer wouldn't give me a production number. Deposits are refundable if you don't go through with a sale.
May I ask if it is normal for people to put backup orders? I feel kinda bad about this. I actually just found another dealer with a expected May delivery. Not sure if I should just cancel my current order.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 01:46 PM   #16
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
May I ask if it is normal for people to put backup orders? I feel kinda bad about this. I actually just found another dealer with a expected May delivery. Not sure if I should just cancel my current order.
They can easily pivot and sell the car to someone else. You distrust your dealership and for good reason. Go elsewhere is my advice but it doesnt hurt to have multiple orders in.
Appreciate 2
Bahamut709.50
      02-02-2021, 06:46 PM   #17
wakahakalaka
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Competition

I think he's just shopping for order enthusiasm so he can send that up the chain to BMW, in the hopes for more allocation #'s. Sounds like they don't actually have any allocations and are just hoping customer enthusiasm gives them some.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 09:49 AM   #18
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Remember, if the dealer doesn't have an allocation April delivery is likely a fantasy... we have plenty of board members who have allocations for March builds (March build plus transit = April/May delivery) if you don't have a March build in reality may or likely June/July is when you should expect the car from this shady dealer. If you want to stay with them you could keep this thread updated as the inevitable "well bmw delayed your order" call from the sales person comes as they try to hide the lack of ability to deliver in April

As noted above bmw has even built their consumer facing tracking around the prod numbers.

You could call bmwna and complain the dealer will not share it with you, a ping by corporate might push them to come clean
Appreciate 1
Bahamut709.50
      02-03-2021, 12:45 PM   #19
CklSpeciale
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
Quote:
Remember, if the dealer doesn't have an allocation April delivery is likely a fantasy... we have plenty of board members who have allocations for March builds (March build plus transit = April/May delivery) if you don't have a March build in reality may or likely June/July is when you should expect the car from this shady dealer. If you want to stay with them you could keep this thread updated as the inevitable "well bmw delayed your order" call from the sales person comes as they try to hide the lack of ability to deliver in April

As noted above bmw has even built their consumer facing tracking around the prod numbers.

You could call bmwna and complain the dealer will not share it with you, a ping by corporate might push them to come clean
yep, for April delivery my car would be in production as I am in the west coast not with status 111 without a production number. I tried to call bmw and they put an notation for me requesting production number which didn't work. Anyway I will cancel my order thanks for your reply
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 02:12 PM   #20
Bahamut
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
Quote:

This +1
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 03:51 PM   #21
brocurls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mazdarati

I was under the impression that if you have a production number, it's assigned to that buyer and dealer because buyer signed an order form? I'd understand this situation if the dealer was honeydicking you over an alleged allocation. Didn't know a 2nd dealer can steal a production number for themselves.

When I ordered my F82 via emails, I got my production number within 2(?) days with no provocation on my part. Smells fishy, if you NEED April delivery, you NEED written confirmation. Don't trust someone if they won't trust you.

DD: 2020 Mazda CrystalWhite CX-5 GT w/PP
Wife's: 2023 Audi S5 Sportback DistrictGreen Premium Plus w/Blk Optic Package
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 10:27 PM   #22
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

I have ordered 3 cars and always got a production number within a day.
Appreciate 0