BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

02-03-2021, 04:01 PM   #1
LuckyBrand
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15, G05 X5, G80 M3 6sp

Allocation Dilema

I need some help guys. I have a build into a dealer I really like and the salesmen is really good. I have bought from them before. The problem is they have no allocation and they are hopeful to have one by the middle of the month. Another dealer I talked to weeks ago emailed me today saying they have a for sure allocation for me now and it's mine if I want it.

I don't know what to do. If they come back with the same money off MSRP as the original dealer it's a hard one to pass up. Take the guarantee or play Russian Roulette and maybe not get one potentially for months! The original dealer had said that if they didn't have one by the middle of the month I could walk away with no hard feelings but I feel this loyalty to them.

What would you do?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 04:16 PM   #2
CanesM4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 Twilight Purple/Ivory

What would I do? Look out for #1, that's what.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 04:33 PM   #3
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

If the deal ends up the same, I don't know why you wouldn't jump to available allocation since it sounds like you want the car ASAP. No reason to be loyal if they don't have what you want. You could also take the allocation available and then give it up if first dealership comes through. To me that's a headache though.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 04:34 PM   #4
Bahamut
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

If it's within your means and ability, can place the refundable deposit with both dealers. If they have a true allocation, you should be assigned a production number.

No production number, no allocation.

I wouldn't worry about cancelling your deposit, as the dealer should easily be able to sell it to another customer.

My two cents
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 05:19 PM   #5
LuckyBrand
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut View Post
If it's within your means and ability, can place the refundable deposit with both dealers. If they have a true allocation, you should be assigned a production number.

I wouldn't worry about cancelling your deposit, as the dealer should easily be able to sell it to another customer.

My two cents
The original dealer didn't have me put a deposit down so I'm good there. I have to put a non refundable deposit down with the new dealer which is okay with me so I wouldn't play the 2 player game. It's one or the other.

I agree with all said so far. Just need the reassurance I guess lol. If they come back with the same deal I'll do it.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 12:56 AM   #6
Bahamut
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyBrand View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut View Post

My two cents
The original dealer didn't have me put a deposit down so I'm good there. I have to put a non refundable deposit down with the new dealer which is okay with me so I wouldn't play the 2 player game. It's one or the other.

I agree with all said so far. Just need the reassurance I guess lol. If they come back with the same deal I'll do it.

Thanks!
Good luck and hope you get your allocation on time!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 01:29 AM   #7
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

I would only give them a non-refundable deposit after they gave me the production number and build week.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 10:11 AM   #8
LuckyBrand
Captain
Rep

Hi Guys. Thanks for the input. Unfortunately the dealer that contacted me about the other car hosed me. I know it's business but 2 days later they emailed me and said they gave it to another client. I thought we had a deal going and almost canceled my other build which I'm glad I didn't. This is the reason I had concerns with going with a dealer I've never dealt with before over the dealer that's done me good in the past. Sometimes it's the whole buying process for a guy like me and with what happened with the other dealer showed me that maybe that is more important to me than I thought. I will most likely just stay with the current dealer no matter what now even though they still haven't acquired an allocation yet. It's business and there is a lot of competition out there for these manual allocations.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 10:46 AM   #9
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

I bought my F80 from a dealership 2 states away because my dealer didn't have an allocation for several months, and i had done business with them previously and considered (and still consider) my client advisor to be a friend.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Scorp!on1511.50
      02-10-2021, 10:47 AM   #10
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Hi Guys. Thanks for the input. Unfortunately the dealer that contacted me about the other car hosed me. I know it's business but 2 days later they emailed me and said they gave it to another client. I thought we had a deal going and almost canceled my other build which I'm glad I didn't. This is the reason I had concerns with going with a dealer I've never dealt with before over the dealer that's done me good in the past. Sometimes it's the whole buying process for a guy like me and with what happened with the other dealer showed me that maybe that is more important to me than I thought. I will most likely just stay with the current dealer no matter what now even though they still haven't acquired an allocation yet. It's business and there is a lot of competition out there for these manual allocations.
it's not the dealer's fault, you waited too long. if it was me (and it has been in short supply markets plenty of times), i would have IMMEDIATELY put a deposit down, making the car mine and mine alone.
Appreciate 1
Transfer5254.00
      02-10-2021, 10:58 AM   #11
LuckyBrand
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
it's not the dealer's fault, you waited too long. if it was me (and it has been in short supply markets plenty of times), i would have IMMEDIATELY put a deposit down, making the car mine and mine alone.
I mean I see your point but they wanted a non refundable deposit and I wasn't doing that if they weren't giving me a discount which they were checking into for me. The other dealer is giving me a decent discount and to me every penny counts so it's important to me. Listen I get it, it's business on both sides. Just disappointing it didn't work out. It is what it is.
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2021, 11:13 AM   #12
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I mean I see your point but they wanted a non refundable deposit and I wasn't doing that if they weren't giving me a discount which they were checking into for me. The other dealer is giving me a decent discount and to me every penny counts so it's important to me. Listen I get it, it's business on both sides. Just disappointing it didn't work out. It is what it is.
All deposits are refundable, even when they say they are NOT refundable. You gotta trust me on this.

What kind of discount are you getting? For me, I had to agree to pay sticker BUT I got my dealer's first allocation.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 11:40 AM   #13
LuckyBrand
Captain
Rep

Quote:
All deposits are refundable, even when they say they are NOT refundable. You gotta trust me on this.

What kind of discount are you getting? For me, I had to agree to pay sticker BUT I got my dealer's first allocation.
They might be refundable but I don't trust that always. I guess if you really strong armed them they might give it back but....I guess I have trust issues lol.

I'm getting 3% off currently which I think is pretty good. It makes a difference on whether I decide to get the exec. pack or not.

I am first on the list at my local dealer as well but they are a small dealer and If they get 1 or 2 allocations this year I think they would be doing good especially in manual. I'm first for there HEA comp model as well but obviously it's not a manual. Figured I might as well lock that up as well though in case I get antcy and change my mind lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 12:19 PM   #14
CanesM4
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I'm seeing A lot of people paying sticker or getting very little off msrp. Did you try to negotiate and they wouldn't budge? My build was $74,995 and after alll was said and done I got $7000 off of sticker, about 9%. I also got their first allocation. It can definitely be done, you just have play hardball with them.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 12:36 PM   #15
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanesM4 View Post
I'm seeing A lot of people paying sticker or getting very little off msrp. Did you try to negotiate and they wouldn't budge? My build was $74,995 and after alll was said and done I got $7000 off of sticker, about 9%. I also got their first allocation. It can definitely be done, you just have play hardball with them.
My build was $94k with an individual color and I wanted the car asap. I really hate driving automatic and couldn't wait to get back into a 6MT. I also want the car at the beginning of summer rather than at the end. They wanted $1,500 OVER invoice and i got them down to invoice.

The dealership I typically deal with had me 5th on the list for a manual allocation. They lost my business as a result. I had to go to a new dealership.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 01:01 PM   #16
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
They might be refundable but I don't trust that always. I guess if you really strong armed them they might give it back but....I guess I have trust issues lol.

I'm getting 3% off currently which I think is pretty good. It makes a difference on whether I decide to get the exec. pack or not.

I am first on the list at my local dealer as well but they are a small dealer and If they get 1 or 2 allocations this year I think they would be doing good especially in manual. I'm first for there HEA comp model as well but obviously it's not a manual. Figured I might as well lock that up as well though in case I get antcy and change my mind lol.
HEA should have long since been allocated, as they went into production in November. Lot of features not available on HEA (including CF Bucket seats). Wait for the manual....help us keep it alive for the H80...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 01:17 PM   #17
LuckyBrand
Captain
Rep

Quote:
HEA should have long since been allocated, as they went into production in November. Lot of features not available on HEA (including CF Bucket seats). Wait for the manual....help us keep it alive for the H80...
Yeah the HEA build I'm just waiting for them to get it in as it's at the port for like a month now. I just mainly want to see the car in the flesh. I'll end up giving up the HEA car in the end but just wanted to keep them from selling it before I had a chance to check it out. Don't worry buddy. Save the manuals! I'll be waiting for one as that's the goal.
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2021, 01:29 PM   #18
CanesM4
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My build was $94k with an individual color and I wanted the car asap. I really hate driving automatic and couldn't wait to get back into a 6MT. I also want the car at the beginning of summer rather than at the end. They wanted $1,500 OVER invoice and i got them down to invoice.

The dealership I typically deal with had me 5th on the list for a manual allocation. They lost my business as a result. I had to go to a new dealership.
Oh, you got it at invoice, that's a good deal. When you said sticker, I thought you meant msrp
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 02:07 PM   #19
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanesM4 View Post
Oh, you got it at invoice, that's a good deal. When you said sticker, I thought you meant msrp
Whatever I pay, I pay. I expect it to be $1,400/month on a zero down 36 month, 36k mile lease.

I'll do MUCH better the 2nd lease, just as I did with my 2nd F80. I negotiate for a living, I'm in charge of over $100M in spend, but on the first year of a new model I just try not to think about it.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 03:09 PM   #20
GOLFFRR
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: GOLFFRR cart

there are going to be plenty of allocation once the first rush is gone. If you can wait just wait a little and see how the deals and programs roll out. Also make sure you look at the whole deal with each dealer. sale price is only a small part of the deal. and as always no production number means no allocation so make sure you also get a production number if you decide to get one asap so you know

whatever you decide good luck

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 03:23 PM   #21
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
there are going to be plenty of allocation once the first rush is gone. If you can wait just wait a little and see how the deals and programs roll out. Also make sure you look at the whole deal with each dealer. sale price is only a small part of the deal. and as always no production number means no allocation so make sure you also get a production number if you decide to get one asap so you know

Sale price, money factor, that's all I am aware at this point. I am assuming i'll get the $500 loyalty credit and that's it.

I had 2 zero down F80 leases and I got one at $1,100 and the other at $842. I'm expecting a similar drop for my2nd lease but I frankly am ok with getting rolled a little for a first allocation. I mean, I gotta be because if I wasn't I would wait until the 2nd model year.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 07:28 PM   #22
pgw85706
BMW Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 911, 2020 540iX (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post

Can you elaborate?
How long until the first rush subsides?
Does production capacity build during this time?
When can 2022 models be ordered?
Must a dealer have an allocation before the production number is provided?
Appreciate 0