BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Did anyone get the wheel and tire coverage?

02-13-2021, 10:38 AM   #1
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

Garage List
Did anyone get the wheel and tire coverage?

In hindsight it seems like I probably paid for something I won't use, but I can't stand the thought of curbing the gold wheels. I'm normally very careful but I did curb my M3 wheels once pretty bad.

I think I overpaid at the very least given it's probably only a couple hundred to fix a damaged wheel. I was just amped up about stumbling upon the car that just came in that day.
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2021, 10:50 AM   #2
f80_MG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 ZCP MPE `17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarrzhp View Post
In hindsight it seems like I probably paid for something I won't use, but I can't stand the thought of curbing the gold wheels. I'm normally very careful but I did curb my M3 wheels once pretty bad.

I think I overpaid at the very least given it's probably only a couple hundred to fix a damaged wheel. I was just amped up about stumbling upon the car that just came in that day.
I didn't, but the policy is also fully refundable within the first 30 days or so, if you're having doubts about it.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 11:41 AM   #3
msmatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Insurance and warranty is a funny thing.....

You are betting that you’ll pop a tire and bend a rim.......

And the insurance company is betting you won’t.

My advice is self insure, that’s why insurance companies make money and thus you will too.

M2 CS Video on YouTube
Appreciate 1
DAC17170.50
      02-13-2021, 11:44 AM   #4
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

The issue is the deductible for each occurrence and the limited number of claims. Better to wait until the wheels are really knocked up before replacement. However, this goes against the desire to keep the wheels looking good all the time. I imagine you can get it to pay for itself over the life of the policy. On my last car I spent about $500 over 3 years getting minor paint nicks repaired due to curbs.
Appreciate 1
M1rider76.00
      02-13-2021, 11:58 AM   #5
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

We have it in some Bmw and not on others

It’s paid for itself 3x on my wife’s daily x5 between new tires and refinishing wheels

I won’t be driving the CS much so I’ll take my chances
      02-13-2021, 12:22 PM   #6
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the replies. I suppose I'll just keep it since it's my DD.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 12:34 PM   #7
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

I did, came in handy within the first 2k miles
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 12:50 PM   #8
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
I think I overpaid at the very least given it's probably only a couple hundred to fix a damaged wheel.
Some policies replace the wheel outright rather than repair. I bought 2 brand new in box BMW wheels from a guy who got them from his wheel damage policy. He used it as an opportunity to move to different rims and sold me his brand new replacement wheels.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 02:20 PM   #9
killerdeck
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2 CS HS, 6-sp, PSS

Got quoted $2600 and I passed as I will likely only put about 3K-4K a year on my car.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 02:48 PM   #10
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Quote:

You may want to verify this but my dealer told me is wouldn't cover curbing, only bends/breaks and failed tires.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 03:09 PM   #11
MDuckie
Private
Rep
Drives: M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got f1? View Post
Quote:

You may want to verify this but my dealer told me is wouldn't cover curbing, only bends/breaks and failed tires.
This is what I was told as well.
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2021, 03:23 PM   #12
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDuckie View Post
Thats why I didn't think it was worth it. If I hit the wheel hard enough to bend it (Forged 763), I probably have a claim large enough to submit to insurance.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 08:24 PM   #13
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i | M2 CS | X5 35i

Just be careful with your wheels when parking. I could care less if it takes me twice as long to parallel park if it means I'm extra careful.
Appreciate 1
Davil6579.50
      02-14-2021, 09:01 PM   #14
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Bonus about gold wheels is that they can simply be painted. Wheel and tire insurance is a huge rip off. IF you can manage one thing. DON’T go to the dealer for repair. If you can go to the forums for wheels and possibly tires, you’ll be thousands ahead. At least for wheels. Also know that municipalities will cover damage for holes if you file a claim.
Appreciate 1
JoeMatt160.00
      02-15-2021, 03:35 PM   #15
JoeMatt
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
I did.

Maybe I'm a sucker, but I live in a high pothole area and I curb rims no matter how hard I try not to.

Good to know I can refund it. I didn't get a lot of time to read the fine print.

Sales guy claimed there's no deductible, and when my tires get low I should get "flats".
Maybe he was trying to oversell the value. I do like the peace of mind though.

I haven't gotten PPF yet and I'm nervous driving every second as there's salt and stones all over the roads. I'll have PPF soon, but I don't want that same anxiety about these very expensive wheels and breaks.

I also got the extended 4 year service warranty. I think each were around 3600.
      02-15-2021, 03:38 PM   #16
JoeMatt
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDuckie View Post

I was told it DOES cover curbing. (I need to look over this fine print again) The only thing he said it didn't cover is damage incurred in a construction site or track. Of course he said, they can't prove where the damage happened so if I track it and damage them he literally told me to straight up lie.
      02-15-2021, 04:09 PM   #17
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMatt View Post
I was told it DOES cover curbing. (I need to look over this fine print again) The only thing he said it didn't cover is damage incurred in a construction site or track. Of course he said, they can't prove where the damage happened so if I track it and damage them he literally told me to straight up lie.
The package I quoted covered curbing. There was a limit to the number of claims, bit it was high. The fine print showed a $50 deductible. However, if they couldn't fix it properly, you got a new wheel. I think frozen gold is going to be hard to match, and it could end up resulting in replacement wheels more often than not.
Appreciate 1
JoeMatt160.00
      02-15-2021, 04:23 PM   #18
JoeMatt
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
The package I quoted covered curbing. There was a limit to the number of claims, bit it was high. The fine print showed a $50 deductible. However, if they couldn't fix it properly, you got a new wheel. I think frozen gold is going to be hard to match, and it could end up resulting in replacement wheels more often than not.
Interesting.

Who was the insurance provider? Mine is CornerStone Auto, which has an extremely ghetto website so that wasn't too reassuring.

Looking at the contract now though,

Covers:
- Tire & Wheel
- Keys
- Interior Repair
- Trip interruption
- Roadside assistance

Terms:
$3600 cost
$0 deductible
48 Months

Not covered
- Vandalism
- collision
- valve or rim leaks
- improper installation
- dry rot
- racing and off-road use
- fire
- theft
- malicious mischief (wtf does this mean)
- manufacture defect (assuming warranty cover this though)

The fact it doesn't cover collision (but I guess reg insurance would?), vandalism, fire and theft and whatever the fck mischief is, is concerning.

Doesn't mention not covering curbing, but does say "negligence" isn't covered. I mean, you could call anything "negligence" that isn't a defect.

Maybe this thing isn't worth it after all. I need to look up if this company actually services claims.

There's a 60 day cancellation window in my contract.
      02-15-2021, 04:42 PM   #19
MDuckie
Private
Rep
Drives: M2CS

Initially I was looking into getting it due to the big brake kit problem (stones and pebbles wreaking havoc on the wheel barrel due to getting caught) and that's when I learned both that damage and curbing isn't covered. Only bent and broken wheels.

Dunno.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 04:49 PM   #20
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Unfortunately they didn't give me any physical data to take with me. Had to sign up right then and there, or not at all. It's a shame because I was interested in the coverage packages, but I can't be comfortable committing to it without time to run the numbers. I recall the whole platinum package adding an extra $200 or so per month to my payment. Roughly 10k for 7yrs.

Again, I didn't have enough time with the paperwork to see the ins and outs of everything. I may only drive 50k in 7yrs so the maintenance portion was going to be a fail.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 04:56 PM   #21
f80_MG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 ZCP MPE `17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryem3 View Post
Bonus about gold wheels is that they can simply be painted.
Could you elaborate on this? With true forged wheels like these, it's a very difficult task to fix finishes. They cannot be powder coated and shops which are capable of repainting these are few and far between. Even if you could find a shop which knows how to work with forged wheels, matching the matte gold is going to be next to impossible if repainting.

Quote:
Unfortunately they didn't give me any physical data to take with me. Had to sign up right then and there, or not at all. It's a shame because I was interested in the coverage packages, but I can't be comfortable committing to it without time to run the numbers. I recall the whole platinum package adding an extra $200 or so per month to my payment. Roughly 10k for 7yrs.

Again, I didn't have enough time with the paperwork to see the ins and outs of everything. I may only drive 50k in 7yrs so the maintenance portion was going to be a fail.
Yeah, so many of them are not applicable once you leave with the car. But the good part is you have a 60 day cancellation window, so if unsure, what I usually tell anyone is to say yes on the spot -> Come home, do your homework and decide if you want to keep it or cancel it.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 05:26 PM   #22
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by f80_MG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryem3 View Post
Bonus about gold wheels is that they can simply be painted.
Could you elaborate on this? With true forged wheels like these, it's a very difficult task to fix finishes. They cannot be powder coated and shops which are capable of repainting these are few and far between. Even if you could find a shop which knows how to work with forged wheels, matching the matte gold is going to be next to impossible if repainting.

Quote:

Yeah, so many of them are not applicable once you leave with the car. But the good part is you have a 60 day cancellation window, so if unsure, what I usually tell anyone is to say yes on the spot -> Come home, do your homework and decide if you want to keep it or cancel it.
I just emailed the dealership to cancel. The curb rash not covered is the deal beaker.
Appreciate 0