BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

03-16-2021, 10:54 AM   #1
capt02
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Dealer said they could modify an order, but could not

I negotiated a price I liked on an M3 that was already on order and scheduled to be delivered in 8-10 weeks but still modifiable. I paid my deposit last Friday. The salesman texted me last night to say, "the M3 we planned to modify slipped to a non-modifiable state so we are pursuing a new allocation for you." He went on to say that he has no idea when they will get an allocation and it would likely be months.

This feels like a bit of a bait and switch. I was curious to know how others would react. It seems like a bad look for a dealer to say they have a car available to modify and then, after taking a deposit, say they can't actually change the order. Any advice?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 11:01 AM   #2
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 BGM

It could be that they had an allocation that was literally just about to go into production and then flipped, which would have been awesome if you'd managed to get it.

I would just shop around some more, you're not beholden to that dealer at all, maybe they find an allocation or have a cancellation, maybe they don't, doesn't stop you shopping around
Appreciate 1
CityLife197.50
      03-16-2021, 11:24 AM   #3
GOLFFRR
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: GOLFFRR cart

side note: no production number means no allocation. Just remember that on your journey. dealer may say they have an allocation when they dont and are just hoping they get one soon (which they certainly may) but if you want to make sure once you lock something in just make sure you receive a production number right away otherwise you are going to waiting till they get another allocation

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 12:18 PM   #4
pg80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 C

my salesman told me they can't order more till the ones they have on order are sold off the lot and if you want one bad enough and your not to picky I would just try and get one that's a dealer car I'm starting to see people on here get there builds delayed you could be waiting a long time just Something to think about
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 01:56 PM   #5
golovko
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW G80 M3C - IOMG/KO

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt02 View Post
I negotiated a price I liked on an M3 that was already on order and scheduled to be delivered in 8-10 weeks but still modifiable. I paid my deposit last Friday. The salesman texted me last night to say, "the M3 we planned to modify slipped to a non-modifiable state so we are pursuing a new allocation for you." He went on to say that he has no idea when they will get an allocation and it would likely be months.

This feels like a bit of a bait and switch. I was curious to know how others would react. It seems like a bad look for a dealer to say they have a car available to modify and then, after taking a deposit, say they can't actually change the order. Any advice?
This doesn't seem unusual. If you had a production number you likely have a very small window to make changes. I put my order in back in December and had a production number the same day. The status changed within days.
2017 BMW X5 40e M-Sport - Gone
2015 BMW M3 - Gone - ED Pickup June 2nd, 2015
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 07:03 PM   #6
LuckyBrand
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15, G05 X5, G80 M3 6sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt02 View Post

My personal opinion is that they are trying to hook you. I talked to a few dealers when I looked around for my allocation and they all told me BMW was not modifying builds currently. If it was a comp it stayed a comp and a manual a manual.

I also had a dealer try to sell me an allocation they supposedly had when they actually didn't and were trying to get me to do a credit report and all to secure me while they tried to dealer trade for an allocation in the mean time. I would get your deposit back and move on to another dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 09:28 PM   #7
The J-Man
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

If the car has any individual options, it can’t be edited. Most dealers are unaware of this.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 09:45 PM   #8
Saturatedfat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

From initial order to when production actually started wasn't very long for me, like a couple days. So it could just been bad luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 07:24 AM   #9
Bimmr7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Comp/G80 M3 Comp on Ord

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW 328  [0.00]
2010 BMW 335 M Sport  [0.00]
As many have stated the window to modify an order can be slim,
especially if by last Friday you mean the 13th or the 6th.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 08:06 AM   #10
Murf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3C - Dravit Grey

Lots of dealers are playing games, lying about allocations. I was told they had one when I placed my order, it's been 19 days and no production number and now getting the run around. They all suck.
Appreciate 1
Scorp!on1511.50
      03-17-2021, 09:30 AM   #11
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 BGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Lots of dealers are playing games, lying about allocations. I was told they had one when I placed my order, it's been 19 days and no production number and now getting the run around. They all suck.
You are 100% being screwed. Production number should be instant - I actually got mine before I'd even completely finished the deal as "proof" they were able to order it for me.

If you're looking for an 8AT in the US there are a few allocations around, if you're looking for 6MT they are harder to find, but do exist (I know specifically of one in the Bay Area that just came up if you want to DM me).
Appreciate 2
Scorp!on1511.50
MauiSteve281.00