Technical Sections Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

12-15-2021, 08:38 AM   #1
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

Wet CF vs Dry CF

I was looking at some aftermarket carbon fiber parts and a lot of them say "dry carbon fiber". Does anyone know if the factory stock CF parts are the wet carbon fiber? I wanna make sure they all match
      12-15-2021, 02:16 PM   #2
BeamerBoomer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4C xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren720s View Post
I was looking at some aftermarket carbon fiber parts and a lot of them say "dry carbon fiber". Does anyone know if the factory stock CF parts are the wet carbon fiber? I wanna make sure they all match
Also interested in the answer. Furthermore, often the weaving pattern is mentioned to be 1x1, 2x2 or 3x3. Which one fits the OEM size?
      12-15-2021, 05:47 PM   #3
evoi19
Lieutenant General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80C

https://scopione.com/terminology/

this probably explains it best.
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2021, 06:51 PM   #4
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoi19 View Post
https://scopione.com/terminology/

this probably explains it best.
Judging by this, the stock CF parts should be the wet CF since it's pretty glossy looking.

So I suppose avoid the dry CF if you're trying to match other wet CF parts
      12-15-2021, 09:50 PM   #5
Soylent
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren720s View Post
Judging by this, the stock CF parts should be the wet CF since it's pretty glossy looking.

So I suppose avoid the dry CF if you're trying to match other wet CF parts
Not sure that is correct. I believe OEM is 2x2 dry. Take a look at the pieces from R44 which are pre-preg (dry) and have a gloss laquer finish applied.
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2021, 06:51 AM   #6
Jack@AUTOID
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: G87 M2, G42 M240i, F87 M2, E36

Can chime in here.

Dry carbon refers to the manufacturing process rather than the finish. Dry carbon is normally another word for pre-preg carbon (which itself is another way of saying pre-impreganted carbon fibre). For these products, the activated resin matrix has already been impregnated into the carbon fibre sheet. The sheets arrive and remain 'dry' throughout the manufacturing process - hence the name 'Dry carbon'. This is typically the best carbon on the market as its the lightest and most efficient way to make carbon, whilst also producing the strongest and most durable part.

Once the carbon part is made, its then either finished in a gloss or satin lacquer - depending the look you want. 'Exposed' carbon is usually raw carbon with a protective sealant on top.

Wet carbon typically applies to carbon fibre thats been manufactured using raw carbon fibre sheets that have not been pre-impregnated with resin. This makes the raw material cheaper. The resin is applied manually at the lay-up stage. This can create a variable based on how skilled and quality focused the factory that making it are, due to the quantity and quality of resin. Typically, wet carbon parts are not as strong as their dry (pre-preg) carbon counter parts. This is not always the case though - we've seen some wet carbon parts superseding pre-preg carbon parts.

Wet carbon is typically favoured by the lower end market because of its flexibility and ability to combine with other materials like fibre glass. It also doesn't require autoclaves (can cost approx $100k) or ovens as the resins can dry at room temperature when made under vacuum.

Hopefully this helps. IF you have any questions about carbon, let me know.
Appreciate 8
DoubleDave1176.50
JTO245276.00
BMWGirlFL6293.50
M_Adaptive1769.00
Mperor336.00
Zircon21.00
M4Tejas788.00
      12-16-2021, 09:36 AM   #7
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack@AUTOID View Post
Can chime in here.

Dry carbon refers to the manufacturing process rather than the finish. Dry carbon is normally another word for pre-preg carbon (which itself is another way of saying pre-impreganted carbon fibre). For these products, the activated resin matrix has already been impregnated into the carbon fibre sheet. The sheets arrive and remain 'dry' throughout the manufacturing process - hence the name 'Dry carbon'. This is typically the best carbon on the market as its the lightest and most efficient way to make carbon, whilst also producing the strongest and most durable part.

Once the carbon part is made, its then either finished in a gloss or satin lacquer - depending the look you want. 'Exposed' carbon is usually raw carbon with a protective sealant on top.

Wet carbon typically applies to carbon fibre thats been manufactured using raw carbon fibre sheets that have not been pre-impregnated with resin. This makes the raw material cheaper. The resin is applied manually at the lay-up stage. This can create a variable based on how skilled and quality focused the factory that making it are, due to the quantity and quality of resin. Typically, wet carbon parts are not as strong as their dry (pre-preg) carbon counter parts. This is not always the case though - we've seen some wet carbon parts superseding pre-preg carbon parts.

Wet carbon is typically favoured by the lower end market because of its flexibility and ability to combine with other materials like fibre glass. It also doesn't require autoclaves (can cost approx $100k) or ovens as the resins can dry at room temperature when made under vacuum.

Hopefully this helps. IF you have any questions about carbon, let me know.
Thank you for this!!
Appreciate 1
M4Tejas788.00