BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Wheels / Tires

02-19-2022, 07:25 PM   #1
OzHatter
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i

Which TPMS sensors for G42?

Hi,

My 240i has RPA but I would like to switch to TPMS. Looking at the instructions for the G20 3 series the process seems fairly straight forward - install TPMS sensors in wheels then active 2VB into the VO and code the ECU modules.

When looking for the appropriate TPMS modules I found several types on RealOEM - 433MHz and 315MHz, it seems as though the 433MHz version might be the correct ones to buy however I wondered if anyone could confirm this for me?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 12:40 PM   #2
Perets
Private
Rep
Drives: MINI JCW, BMW 230i

I'm going to use this.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 10:59 PM   #3
OzHatter
Australia
Rep

Thanks Perets, I have ordered some OE 433MHz TPMS modules (original BMW OEM modules are $LOL). They should be arriving this week, hopefully I get time to have my tyre place fit them before I go on holiday for the weekend.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 04:30 AM   #4
DaveDee
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHatter View Post
Thanks Perets, I have ordered some OE 433MHz TPMS modules (original BMW OEM modules are $LOL). They should be arriving this week, hopefully I get time to have my tyre place fit them before I go on holiday for the weekend.
Is there not a seperate receiver to plug into the ECU in addition to the wheel sensors ? Mine just arrived to and because it was on allocation was not specced with TPMS but keen to know how yours goes
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2022, 11:33 PM   #5
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Has anyone successfully retrofitted TPMS sensors to the BMW G42 yet?
According to the local BMW Dealer it can’t be done without extra equipment (radio receiver) plus the 4 x TPMS wheel sensors
Looks like TPMS can be enabled in Bimmercode
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 10:05 PM   #6
Ravenseal
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perets View Post
I'm going to use this.
Did that part # work for you?

Retired: 2022 M240i xDrive | 2021 Audi RS5 | 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT | 2016 428i GC | 2011 BMW 335is
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2022, 09:26 AM   #7
Perets
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenseal View Post
Quote:
I'm going to use this.
Did that part # work for you?
Yes
Appreciate 1
Ravenseal2749.00
      04-02-2022, 03:35 PM   #8
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes
Did you have to add any other components other than TPMS sensors?
Was coding all you needed to enable these? (the option in bimmercode) or similar?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2022, 05:31 PM   #9
jpcoop
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDee View Post
Was coding all you needed to enable these? (the option in bimmercode) or similar?
It looks like they're in the USA; keep in mind direct TPMS is standard here so if you're fitting a new set of wheels you just need the sensors. The car is already set up for it.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2022, 06:11 PM   #10
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoop View Post
It looks like they're in the USA; keep in mind direct TPMS is standard here so if you're fitting a new set of wheels you just need the sensors. The car is already set up for it.
They are an option here along with a package of some useless stuff like steering wheel heating in the tropics. My car was on allocation to the Dealer at release, so choices were fairly limited
Changing the wheels for forged wheels soon so a good time to add the sensors and hopefully code them in
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2022, 09:24 PM   #11
Perets
Private
Rep

Quote:
Already answered

Quote:
If your car equipped with tpms, you don’t need nothing, sensors preprogrammed from the box. If your tire pressure monitor works through ABS, definitely needs coding and some hardware.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2022, 09:31 PM   #12
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Already answered

If your car equipped with tpms, you don’t need nothing, sensors preprogrammed from the box. If your tire pressure monitor works through ABS, definitely needs coding and some hardware.
The car is equipped with only RPA. On fitment of new wheels I intended to fit TPMS transmitters but trying to establish if a TPMS receiver/antenna is also required to be retrofitted for operation. If it's simply a matter of fitting the transmitters to the wheels and coding for a retrofit that would be good but if additional equipment is required it's going to be come uneconomical
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2022, 06:37 AM   #13
OzHatter
Australia
Rep

DaveDee sorry for not replying to your PM, I saw it but I have been extremely busy at work and travelling interstate a bit. I also hit a pot hole (tons of them around here now thanks to the rain) and blew out a bunch of tyres so I parked the TPMS thing for a while. Anyway, today I finally got my OE sensors fitted and sorted the coding. Here are my findings for anyone else wondering if this is possible.

TL;DR: You can fit TPMS sensors and code 2VB to enable full TPMS on G42, all the hardware is there.

Parts required:
I purchased these OE sensors from tpms(dot)com(dot)au (sorry, I don't think I have enough post history to share web addresses; BMW wanted like A$400 per corner, LOL.

Coding:
To set-up my coding environment, I followed the installation instructions from the g20 Bimmerpost forum.

I used Esys version 3.33.4, and the latest psdzdata, if you already have a set-up you should check your psdzdata version since a new one was recently shared (v4.34.40.7). Considering how new the G42 is I'd recommend updating if you aren't on the latest.

You DO NOT need esysX, launcherpro or anything like that, for VO coding the standard/stock esys will work fine! So please skip that step of the install instructions.

Now it's time to do the coding...

VO coding is pretty straight forward, I even found some nice instructions specifically for adding TPMS (source: https://www.bimmerfest(dot)com/threa...tpms.909092/):

1. Open E-sys
2. Click "Connect" icon
3. Connect Target
4. On "Expert Mode", choose "Coding"
5. Read FA
6. Save FA to new file name (xyz.xml)
7. Click "Edit" on FA, then change to FA-editor page automatically
8. Expend FA Folder until SALAPA-Element
9. Click "SALAPA-Element", a VO list show on the bottom window
10. Add [2VB] by typing into the list and the 2VB should be added in alphabetical order of the existing VO list.
11. Click "SAVE" bottom at the right corner on window
12. Right click FA and calculate FP
13. If no error show, click "floppy disk" icon to save the new FA
14. New FA has been saved
15. On Expert Mode, click "VCM"
16. Select "File", load saved FA file [xyz.xml] on Vehicle Order
17. Right click on "FA" under Vehicle Order (File) and calculate FP again
18. Select "VCM Master", click "write FA FP", then new FA write to the car
19. Select "Coding" under Expert Mode
20. Read FA under Vehicle Order
21. Activate FA
22. Click "Read ECU" under SVT Actual *cause F48 is Read ECU instead SVT*
23. Right click on involved ECU *not CAFD* including BDC_Body, BKOMBI, HU_Entrynav and DSC2 one by one for "CODE" process <--- These have different names on the G42, sorry I was too stupid to write down the names as presented in esys when coding, but it's very easy to figure out, if I can do it so can you! You should only be coding four ECUs.
24. After right click one ECU, then select "Code"
25. Repeat all related ECU.
26. After code 4 ECU, the procedures are finished. Check i-drive, the TPMS function have been shown.
27. Check pressure, if ok, drive to make the tire warm and check pressure again.

Power off the car.

Power it up again.

(this is so that the ECUs all reset and stuff something something magic?)

Now go into iDrive -> Car -> Status -> TPMS -> Tyre settings and you should have extra options to pick tyre type (summer, winter, all-weather, etc) and rear size (in my case, 255/35R19 96Y). There is an auto option, but I set the type and size manually. You will then need to drive around for about 5 mins and you'll see a %age increasing on the screen while the car calibrates the pressure and temp from the sensors. Once it hits 100% you are all done!

Final result:

*Yes, looks like the tyre place over-inflated my wheels when they replaced the tyres after the blow-out.

VO coding is very easy (IMO) so long as you double-check yourself at each step and take your time, should be like 10-15 mins max. Also, don't bother trying to enable TPMS with Carly or Bimmercode, they both have options to enable/disable TPMS in the HU but this, I believe, is for cars with 2VB which is somehow disabled in the display, coding each module individually using the Bimmercode "expert mode" can cause problems further down the line with software updates; AFAIK VO coding shouldn't cause you any problems with software updates in the future (at least this is what I have read in various coding forums/threads).

DISCLAIMER: I am not a BMW coding expert or a person of any authority, just a regular person please don't just blindly copy what I have done! In regards of coding, YMMV, do your own research, etc etc. I am not liable for anything if you goof up your car, brick it, break it, make it cry. If you aren't sure, ask a pro to code the car for you! There are lots of experienced coders out there that can easily code your car remotely for a small fee (or free, maybe?).

I hope this info helps someone, good luck out there
Appreciate 2
DaveDee532.00
Ravenseal2749.00
      04-09-2022, 06:55 AM   #14
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
I think I can say from everyone, thank you for the comprehensive and informative reply and knowing it's do-able is a big bonus Obviously not a walk in the park as a self install but as you say there are some brilliant coders out there and I'd say don't sell yourself short on your own skills , excellent job and thank you for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2022, 07:11 AM   #15
OzHatter
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I think I can say from everyone, thank you for the comprehensive and informative reply and knowing it's do-able is a big bonus Obviously not a walk in the park as a self install but as you say there are some brilliant coders out there and I'd say don't sell yourself short on your own skills , excellent job and thank you for sharing.
You're welcome, man! I spent a few evenings messing around with Carly and Bimmercode before I decided to be brave and use Esys. There was a lot of incorrect information out there about what software is needed to make VO changes, but I actually found the developer of launcherpro to be extremely friendly and helpful in getting a definitive list of what I need (launcherpro is only required for FDL coding), he's a really amazing guy.

I wanted to pay forward my research to the community so nobody else has to go through the same waste of time and dead-ends as I did.

I'm planning some fun at Eastern Creek as soon as the weather dries up, and having tyre temp/pressure is really valuable when on the track so glad I finally got round to enabling TPMS
Appreciate 1
DaveDee532.00
      05-17-2022, 02:24 AM   #16
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Like OzHatter I was able to fit the sensors when the new wheels were installed and coding added functionality. Here is AU TPMS sensors are included in a "package" with other things like steering wheel heating which in a tropical climate is as useful as an ashtray on a motorcycle
All working perfectly including a tyre pressure widget

Parts sourced from TPMS Australia and the part numbers follow in photos. They were much cheaper than OE sensors at a total cost of AUD $316.80 including freight. These were pre programmed to suit the car
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 03:48 PM   #17
jpcoop
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Glad you guys got this figured out. Must say I'm still a little surprised BMW is charging you guys extra for direct TPMS. It's standard on pretty much everything they sell in the US.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 03:59 PM   #18
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Glad you guys got this figured out. Must say I'm still a little surprised BMW is charging you guys extra for direct TPMS. It's standard on pretty much everything they sell in the US.
Agree and this is a really weird exclusion as almost all cars sold here have TPMS now. The problem is also exacerbated by BMW stating categorically that TPMS cannot be added. It's one of the features you would expect and disappointing when it's not fitted.
Appreciate 0