BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Wheels / Tires

03-02-2022, 08:41 PM   #1
SugarFreeSteve
Rep
Drives: M240i

Thinking about a square setup 235/40/19 on 19x8 791M wheels

Picked up a M240i from a local dealer pretty much optioned out exactly as I would have wanted, except I didn't notice that the tires were all season run flats. Not that it would have stopped me from purchasing the car.

Anyways after about 1k miles on the car, I don't particularity like the 225/40/19 Pirelli Cinturato P7 all season runflats that are equipped on all four corners of my car. Which came with the 791M 19x8 wheels.

Being from NJ and this being a daily driver car, I'm not really worried about ultimate max performance, the car will likely never see a track and surprisingly traction has been fine even on a 225/40/19.

Not really interested in buying a 2nd wheel/tire set, so I'm going to go with an all season tire.

I'd just like a slightly more compliant, quieter, and softer ride, which I know from past experience ditching the run flats will give me.

What I'm not sure about is that, I'd like to go up a size and use 235/40/19 vs the stock 225/40/19, and I'm hoping there won't be any clearance or rubbing issues.

My reasoning for that is that the sidewall will be a little taller providing a little more protection and softer over bumps in our pothole filled roads here. It will also fill out the wheel arches a little more without having to lower the car and losing ground clearance. And of course it will be a little wider all around, trying to optimize what I can on my 19x8 wheels, without having to go out and buy new wheels.

Has anyone put a set of 235/40/19 on their G42 M240i without issue? I'm sure they fit fine on the back, since the staggered setup is a 255, but the fronts on the staggered setup are also 225, so that's what I'm concerned about.

I'll probably go with the Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate or Continental DWS06, I've used both in the past; on similarly powered cars with good results.

Last edited by SugarFreeSteve; 03-02-2022 at 08:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 10:27 PM   #2
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

Look at it this way the difference is only 5 mm inner and outer.
(235-225 = 10mm difference in total sectional width, 1/2 that for each side = 5mm). Should be no problem but i have not done it. There is enough inner clearance (tire to suspension components etc) but dunno about outer tire to body...i suspect it is fine.
The Contis are an excellent tire.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 11:00 PM   #3
SugarFreeSteve
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by danallxt View Post
The Contis are an excellent tire.
Yeah it's really a toss up between those and the goodyears, the AS-3/4 Michelin I don't think come in that size, at least not on the sites I'm looking at. Can't go wrong with any of those tires from my experience.

Right now the Continentals are ~$850 installed and the Goodyear is ~$1000.

I can get the Goodyears at BJ's though, and their warranty/repair/exchange has never let me down before. The Contis I'd have to get installed through a 3rd party, so I wouldn't be able to rely on a warranty/exchange if I blow a sidewall out on a pothole.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 08:43 AM   #4
jbazz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 x3 30i , 1990 Miata Turbo

I don't have my car yet, but I think you would be totally fine with that set up. Minimal difference in dimensions, and it would meet your goals for our NJ roads.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 08:36 AM   #5
Ravenseal
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 6MT

Is there a reason not to run 245/40/19 all around? I’m not super pissed off about the speed limiter being 130 but appalled by BMW putting 93H Rated Eco Rolling tires on a pseudo M car.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 06:06 PM   #6
m_g42bmw
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFreeSteve View Post
Picked up a M240i from a local dealer pretty much optioned out exactly as I would have wanted, except I didn't notice that the tires were all season run flats. Not that it would have stopped me from purchasing the car.

Anyways after about 1k miles on the car, I don't particularity like the 225/40/19 Pirelli Cinturato P7 all season runflats that are equipped on all four corners of my car. Which came with the 791M 19x8 wheels.

Being from NJ and this being a daily driver car, I'm not really worried about ultimate max performance, the car will likely never see a track and surprisingly traction has been fine even on a 225/40/19.

Not really interested in buying a 2nd wheel/tire set, so I'm going to go with an all season tire.

I'd just like a slightly more compliant, quieter, and softer ride, which I know from past experience ditching the run flats will give me.

What I'm not sure about is that, I'd like to go up a size and use 235/40/19 vs the stock 225/40/19, and I'm hoping there won't be any clearance or rubbing issues.

My reasoning for that is that the sidewall will be a little taller providing a little more protection and softer over bumps in our pothole filled roads here. It will also fill out the wheel arches a little more without having to lower the car and losing ground clearance. And of course it will be a little wider all around, trying to optimize what I can on my 19x8 wheels, without having to go out and buy new wheels.

Has anyone put a set of 235/40/19 on their G42 M240i without issue? I'm sure they fit fine on the back, since the staggered setup is a 255, but the fronts on the staggered setup are also 225, so that's what I'm concerned about.

I'll probably go with the Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate or Continental DWS06, I've used both in the past; on similarly powered cars with good results.
I did the exact same set up got rid of my run flats and opted for AS4 235/40zr19 just a side note I'm running 34 psi in the front and 38 in the rear I can add pictures later I currently don't have anyone in my phone also no running or any problems at all great grip I have a feeling however 35 side wall would have been better but tire rack was out of that size at the time
Appreciate 0