BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Wheels / Tires

05-07-2022, 12:47 PM   #1
BMWCalGal
Registered
Rep
Drives: Porsche 718, BMW135i Conv

18" Non Run-Flat Tires vs. 19" NRF on 2022 2-Series

Aloha!
Could really use advice about whether to get 18" or 19" NON run-flat tires on the 230i Coupe please! (I hate run-flats, so those are NOT an option. Don't even mention them please! LOL I used to have a 135i and they were ALWAYS needing to be replaced from punctures. I replaced them with sport tires and will never go back to run-flats. But I digress...)
I'm ordering a 230i Coupe this week and need to decide on tire size. And also "performance" vs. "all-season"? I've had it explained to me, the differences, but I'm still undecided. Was leaning towards the 18" all-season. But I could use a list of pros & cons from those of you much wiser than me on this matter. Someone who has driven BOTH (18 vs 19 and performance vs all-season) and can really explain the difference to me would be so great!

Background:
In the past I've had various BMWs (135i convertible, Z4, 3-series). I really loved the ride & feel of my old Z4 (it was the first year BMW made them, so the original model). But I have no memory for what size tires it had. And I loved the feel of the sport tires I put on my 135i but can't remember what size those were either.

I currently have a 2019 Porsche 718 Cayman and find the ride to be just way too firm/bumpy and the bucket seats are terrible on my lower back. I have some back pain from injuries, and so this is why I'm trading it in and returning to BMW.

So, I could use your advice! I want a comfortable ride because of my lower back issues (yes, I AM getting the Lumbar Support option in the seats), but I still want it to feel like a sports car.

Thank you,
BMW Cal Gal
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 07:27 PM   #2
jpcoop
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

18s will have more sidewall which should soak up the bumps and be a bit more gentle. 19s will have more wheel and less rubber and will be harsher. So I think the 18s would make sense.

"Performance" tires here means summer tires. Summer tires will handle better as long as you're operating them in >45 degree weather. They're not designed to operate in cold temperatures or snow. if you're in CA that might be acceptable. Or what I do is switch my wheels out for snow tires every winter.

If you need it to work year-round all-seasons are the way to go. And as long as you get decent ones it will still handle fine.

I would also suggest *not* ordering the M-Sport package if you want the ride to be a little softer. It adds the sport suspension which seems to not be what you're looking for
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 01:10 PM   #3
BMWCalGal
Registered
Rep
Drives: Porsche 718, BMW135i Conv

Thank you for that advice!
Appreciate 0