G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Regional Forums CANADA

08-13-2022, 08:49 AM   #1
ep99
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

Reduced parking assistance message

Less than a year old and already got my first problem.

Reduced parking assistance message popped up a week ago whenever I put the car in reverse.
I don't think it affect anything else except if you want the auto park option which I have never tried anyway.

Now, I had sensor messages in my old X6M before and that's during winter time when sensors are covered with snow or actually damaged.

I have checked all the sensors and nothing is damaged and all sensors are clean.

And yes, I also tried the hard reboot of idrive (30 seconds hold on the volume button).

Sigh...have to bring it into Service.
Hopefully, they might have a technical bulletin on it or just needed a reset of some form for it.

Name:  bmw message.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  377.8 KB

Last edited by ep99; 08-13-2022 at 08:51 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2022, 02:55 PM   #2
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

I had this message on my M2 back then. Even if the sensors seem to be ok visually from the outside, the wiring of them could be damaged. That was the case with mine and they replaced the wiring…
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2022, 05:30 PM   #3
ep99
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I hated to admit it. I did get caught twice in bad rain storms this summer. The kind that you can't see 5 feet in front of you.

Coincidentally, the message appeared shortly after the second rain storm encounter for me.

If it's indeed a wiring issue. You figured they would have better German workmanship than that. That's the whole reason that I went back to a M car after two X6M. That it is made in Germany.

Oh well, we will see what they find.
Thanks
Appreciate 1
Dr.Deep1827.00
      08-13-2022, 05:52 PM   #4
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

I get you and it's annoying…

Millions of those cables get produced for all the various BMW models (mainly 3rd party suppliers, not even BMW itself and often in china), so sometimes things just break…Happens with everything, and a made in germany will not prevent that
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2022, 09:57 AM   #5
ep99
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

After waiting for a month...they did find a cracked front sensor. I am surprised that I didn't notice it before. But then the picture that they sent me did have a strong light focusing on it. Maybe you don't notice it on the surface.
Anyway, since it's external damage...of course BMW is not going to cover warranty on it.
$700 tax-in to replace.
Still kind of pissing me off that whatever it was....hit a small target like that in the front of the car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0