BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Wheels / Tires

08-18-2023, 11:00 PM   #1
pantdino
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E36 M3, 2024 M240i RWD

handling differences with different tire packages?

I think it would be interesting to drive identical cars back to back up the same canyon road or track, one with 225 all season runflats all around and the other with performance non-runflats with the 225 F -255 R staggered setup

If the wider rear wheels and tires are specified to decrease oversteer, one could expect the square setup to be pretty tail-happy. It would be interesting to see how differently they handled.

Jim
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2023, 10:25 PM   #2
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
You’re correct that square tires would induce more oversteer.

However, comparing all season tires to summer tires is a bad idea. All season tires don’t have the same level of grip, and your perception will be skewed. I think a 225 square setup with all seasons will understeer more than a 225/255 summer set.

You need an apples to apples comparison.

And while you may feel the car a bit more balanced with a square setup, you ultimately will lose rear end grip, which will negate the gains in balance.

I have moved from a 225/255 setup in an E90 to a square 245, and gained 0 on track. Car was a bit more playful, but it was more unsettled. The 225/255 was more planted. And lap times were identical.

Unless you can increase the width in the front to match your rears, with wider wheels following on both axles, going square will not help much.
Appreciate 1