BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Issues, Repairs, Warranty, TSB, Recalls

09-26-2023, 02:08 PM   #1
dannysauer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 22 M240i, 07 550i, etc

Question OTA update availability (G42 y u no update self?)

I've been wondering about this since I took delivery almost 2 years ago (been trying to register on the forum since then; just doesn't work on my phone). Every time I check for updates on my 22 M240i, it says there are no updates available. The software is still from I think July 2021. I see posts occasionally from other folks with newer software and who actually have gotten updates, so they have the new dash layout, etc.

I was at the Stealership yesterday having them reconnect a connector for my accent lighting (which apparently came unplugged by itself last week), and asked if they would update the software while it was in. They said that BMW won't reimburse them for installing the update unless the update fixes a problem I'm having. I guess "car does't download updates" isn't itself a problem. They also said it costs $330 to install it, and they'd do it if I wanted to pay myself. I'm not sure if I'm that excited about a different speedometer font, but I don't know what else is changed.

Is this normal? I've had several older BMWs, but this is my first newer one with theoretical OTA software update capability. I also live in the middle of nowhere, so it's not like there are dozens of dealerships around to choose from - it's about a 1.5 hour (each way) drive to the next closest one. Is there some way to "encourage" the car to actually get the current software over the air instead of just telling me no updates are available? I've lightly searched, but haven't filtered anything useful out of the sea of posts about cars which just fail to install an update which is found.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 02:44 PM   #2
P_Chris
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Garage List
2022 M240i  [0.00]
Same here. Received my car February 2022 and never had an update prompt and always says I’m up to date.

Not sure I’m missing out on anything. I have the updated font and the m240 logo in the cluster using bimmercode.
      09-26-2023, 07:23 PM   #3
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Wrrroooooong forum. This is the G87 forum.
Appreciate 0