home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Wheels / Tires

11-08-2023, 02:27 PM   #1
Blue2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i

Lightest OEM wheel options?

Does anyone know the weights of the OEM wheel options? Curious which are lightest and by how much.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 11:25 PM   #2
ILikeBimmers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: (G42) m240ix

Garage List
If I had to guess it's probably one of the forged wheels which I believe come standard on most of the M Cars. If you're trying to fit it on one the G42 you could possibly try to check fitment with the wheels on the M2, etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 10:55 AM   #3
LivingInSalt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeBimmers View Post
If I had to guess it's probably one of the forged wheels which I believe come standard on most of the M Cars. If you're trying to fit it on one the G42 you could possibly try to check fitment with the wheels on the M2, etc.
pretty sure they meant the lightest of the standard OEM wheel options you can order with a new car build
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 11:09 AM   #4
ILikeBimmers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: (G42) m240ix

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInSalt View Post
pretty sure they meant the lightest of the standard OEM wheel options you can order with a new car build
Oh yeah, you're probably right now that I look more closely . My brain just automatically skipped to "minimize weight and maximize performance". I mean in that case the lightest of the OEM wheels for the G42 only, is probably going to the smallest rims you can get b/c hypothetically that's going to have the lowest unsprung mass, however; In general, low profile tires have better handling, possibly lower rolling resistance (i.e. better fuel economy), and have more space for brakes. Hypothetically increased tire sidewall should be lighter than metal. It's also worth mentioning that I don't think any of the OEM wheels are forged, which are lighter than cast (which I think is the metallurgy process used for ours). I think apex does some forged wheels, but that's not really OEM anymore.

I've seen some minus-2 winter size setups available for the G42 with 17" rims, but having just put on minus-1 size 18" winters with the ZTK package upgraded M Sport Brakes, I suspect the 17" rims won't clear the brakes, as the 18" barely fits on.

Even if you don't have the ZTK package, there are some upsides and downsides to minus sizing that much to try and acheive lower unsprung mass.
Appreciate 0