home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Issues, Repairs, Warranty, TSB, Recalls

01-22-2024, 02:22 PM   #1
two_three_two
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW R32

Normal Engine Temp Range?

I have a mishi plate plus stradale design side and center cooling guards and have noticed on a few occasions the oil temp will get a few "notches" above the midline 210F point- never more than 1/3 of the way up the third bar, but still higher than the midpoint. First few times was when i was running backroads pretty hard, and then again this weekend running up to the mountains and back cruising in 6th gear at approx 80 mph. Is this normal, or something i need to look into? It happened both in comfort, and in "sport" mode on the engine.

if i backed off on the load, it would come back down, but i was surprised to see it go above the midpoint considering ambient temps were approx 20F
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 07:37 PM   #2
gcmak
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 & IS500

There shouldn't be that much of a change in airflow with those mods. If you're in sport or track display modes and use the info screen for the infotainment display, you can get a larger/clearer read-out of the exact engine temps. 210-220 is generally what I observe. If there's less air flow and I'm holding high revs, then it'll creep up more.

I'm also not sure if the car keeps things a bit warmer, considering it was below freezing ambient. I do know this car performs amazingly at high speeds; on the track during hot laps, the oil temps fall into the 190F range.
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2024, 07:53 PM   #3
two_three_two
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW R32

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcmak View Post
There shouldn't be that much of a change in airflow with those mods. If you're in sport or track display modes and use the info screen for the infotainment display, you can get a larger/clearer read-out of the exact engine temps. 210-220 is generally what I observe. If there's less air flow and I'm holding high revs, then it'll creep up more.

I'm also not sure if the car keeps things a bit warmer, considering it was below freezing ambient. I do know this car performs amazingly at high speeds; on the track during hot laps, the oil temps fall into the 190F range.
thanks for the info. what is the highest you have observed it creep up? i'll have to keep tabs on the detailed temp going forward, just debating if its worth mentioning to my SA or if this falls within "normal" spec since i am just b road and street driving right now..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 03:59 PM   #4
gcmak
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 & IS500

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_three_two View Post
thanks for the info. what is the highest you have observed it creep up? i'll have to keep tabs on the detailed temp going forward, just debating if its worth mentioning to my SA or if this falls within "normal" spec since i am just b road and street driving right now..
230F.
The car will of course warn you if its toasty and I'm sure it'll be logged for a tech to read.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 08:06 AM   #5
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
I have a mishi plate plus stradale design side and center cooling guards and have noticed on a few occasions the oil temp will get a few "notches" above the midline 210F point- never more than 1/3 of the way up the third bar, but still higher than the midpoint. First few times was when i was running backroads pretty hard, and then again this weekend running up to the mountains and back cruising in 6th gear at approx 80 mph. Is this normal, or something i need to look into? It happened both in comfort, and in "sport" mode on the engine.

if i backed off on the load, it would come back down, but i was surprised to see it go above the midpoint considering ambient temps were approx 20F
Chances are I have not pushed my M2 as hard as you have pushed yours. Been on a few back roads but there is just too much traffic even on these "back" roads and I see deer behind every tree...

But the oil temperature and coolant temperature appears to be quite under control. See pics.

Note ambient temperature is 100F. Pics taken August 23, 2023 at 5:18pm.

The coolant temperature is quite low. What I have observed is when I give the engine the whip the coolant temperature goes down. That is about as low as I have seen it go. If I resume normal driving the temperature climbs back up to nominal at or just a tiny bit above the 210F point.

I have used voice command to query the car for the oil temperature.

IIRC it was like this: Press the microphone button on the steering wheel. "Hey BMW. What is the engine oil temperature?"

Tried this with coolant in place of oil and the system did not respond.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 08:14 PM   #6
MrJDS
Rep
Drives: F80 CS, G80 xdrive, G87 (now)

Quote:

I too have seen the oil temp going over midline and up to 1/3 of the next bar and thats without really pushing it that hard and with the outside temp being a nice 55 F. a bit surprising to me as well.

I live in the desert where the summers get over 100 and I plan on running higher boost with other mods (intakes, full exhaust and downpipes) so I'll need to the engine to be operating efficiently. as such, I'm seriously considering getting a high performance engine oil cooler.

But I might be overreacting as I do remember it was completely normal and fine for my f80 and f80 cs to go slightly above mid.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 09:08 AM   #7
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJDS View Post
I too have seen the oil temp going over midline and up to 1/3 of the next bar and thats without really pushing it that hard and with the outside temp being a nice 55 F. a bit surprising to me as well.

I live in the desert where the summers get over 100 and I plan on running higher boost with other mods (intakes, full exhaust and downpipes) so I'll need to the engine to be operating efficiently. as such, I'm seriously considering getting a high performance engine oil cooler.

But I might be overreacting as I do remember it was completely normal and fine for my f80 and f80 cs to go slightly above mid.
With the mods which increase engine output and of course the amount of heat that must be dealt with you might find more oil cooling is necessary.

I will mention the highest oil temperatures I saw with my Hellcat (supercharged V8 making 707hp) were during just town driving. Oil temperature approached 240F. (Pretty much observed the same oil temperature behavior from my Scat Pack with a N/A engine making 485hp.)

But once on the freeway oil temperature dropped to around 200F.

But with my M2 oil temperature around town or on the freeway remains pretty darn steady.

And as I covered in a previous post when I push the M2 hard coolant temperature drops. But I do not see real increase or decrease in oil temperature.

It would appear BMW has some real sophisticated engine cooling technology in play.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 09:32 AM   #8
blue135
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Convertible

Seems to be variable speed water pump that they have been using for a number of years. The cooling behavior you talk about is same I see on my 135i.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 12:47 PM   #9
MrJDS
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
With the mods which increase engine output and of course the amount of heat that must be dealt with you might find more oil cooling is necessary.

I will mention the highest oil temperatures I saw with my Hellcat (supercharged V8 making 707hp) were during just town driving. Oil temperature approached 240F. (Pretty much observed the same oil temperature behavior from my Scat Pack with a N/A engine making 485hp.)

But once on the freeway oil temperature dropped to around 200F.

But with my M2 oil temperature around town or on the freeway remains pretty darn steady.

And as I covered in a previous post when I push the M2 hard coolant temperature drops. But I do not see real increase or decrease in oil temperature.

It would appear BMW has some real sophisticated engine cooling technology in play.
Interesting... yah my m2 oil temp consistently ticks over the 210 mark when just starting to push hard. weird you're not having the same issue as myself and the original poster of the thread. I think an upgraded heat exchanger and oil cooler is in need especially with more mods coming.

It funny bc my 911 turbo has 700 hp and tq and never ticks over mid on the engine oil even when its 110 out during hard push. Porsches just built different I guess.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 01:01 PM   #10
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

The S58 seems to have gone back to a fixed displacement mechanical pump for the main engine cooling circuit, but the sophisticated cooling management is from a combination of the flow redirection by the heat management module (effectively a sophisticated thermostat) and the variable flows through the turbo cooling circuit and passenger compartment circuit electric pumps. (see P81 of https://www.bimmerpost.com/goodiesfo...S58-Engine.pdf).
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2024, 01:35 PM   #11
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJDS View Post
Interesting... yah my m2 oil temp consistently ticks over the 210 mark when just starting to push hard. weird you're not having the same issue as myself and the original poster of the thread. I think an upgraded heat exchanger and oil cooler is in need especially with more mods coming.

It funny bc my 911 turbo has 700 hp and tq and never ticks over mid on the engine oil even when its 110 out during hard push. Porsches just built different I guess.
100C / 210F is below average temp for normal use on the G87. Typically it should be around 105C / 220F for fuel economy and emissions on the S58 and B58 engines for oil and coolant, then when the car is pushed harder the temps will be managed down by the ECU. The stock S58 cooling seems to be capable of handling hard use and some tuning without any upgrades.
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2024, 01:41 PM   #12
blue135
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Convertible

Interesting explanation. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 02:14 PM   #13
MrJDS
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
100C / 210F is below average temp for normal use on the G87. Typically it should be around 105C / 220F for fuel economy and emissions on the S58 and B58 engines for oil and coolant, then when the car is pushed harder the temps will be managed down by the ECU. The stock S58 cooling seems to be capable of handling hard use and some tuning without any upgrades.
Ok. It seems its I'm in the "good" zone then based on this information. Thanks for the explanation!
Appreciate 0