home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Issues, Repairs, Warranty, TSB, Recalls

02-09-2024, 06:04 AM   #1
DrewNewM2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Brooklyn Gray G87 Manual

Dead Key Fob Batteries

Had to replace both on my 2 month old car. Anyone else have this issue?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 09:27 AM   #2
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewNewM2 View Post
Had to replace both on my 2 month old car. Anyone else have this issue?
Sort of...

At my local BMW dealer had a car in: Can't recall now if it was was my BMW 230i or my MINI S or MINI JCW; for an oil/filter service. Long story short one of the porters got in the car and the key was not recognized. SA said it was due to a low keyfob battery. He swapped out the old battery for a new one. I looked through my service records for my 230i, MINI S, MINI JCW, and even my M2 and found no battery listed on the invoice.

In any case none of the cars were very old. Of the 3 cars the 230i was the oldest at around 10 months old when I traded it in for the M2. The S around 4 months old when I traded it in for the JCW. And the JCW was 9 months old when I traded it for the 230i xDrive.

As soon as I got home I got the 2nd keyfob out and replaced its battery.

Might mention my SOP is to alternate keyfobs every month. I do this to spread the wear/tear on the keyfobs and on their batteries.

Had a similar experience with my 2020 Scat Pack. Had it in for a service but I don't recall at what miles or age. But I traded in the car after around 18 months and less than 8K miles on it so the car didn't have lots of time or miles on it. Somehow the SA determined the battery in the keyfob I handed over was weak. Long story short he replaced it then and there. Had a supply of new batteries in his desk drawer. And I was not charged for the battery. This occurred before the incident at the BMW dealer which is why I had spare keyfob batteries at home. After I left the Dodge dealer with the Scat Pack I stopped at Walmart and bought a package of keyfob batteries. Then at home I replaced the battery in the 2nd keyfob.

Before the above while I had a keyfob or two battery need replacing this was after at least several years of use. This for cars from 2002 to 2017.

For my 2018 MINI JCW which I bought late Dec. 2017 and I owned around 18 months and put 25K miles on it and for my 2018 Hellcat which I bought mid Feb. 2018 and I owned for 33 months and put 27.5K miles on it I never had to replace a keyfob battery.
Appreciate 1
DrewNewM2364.50