BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-24-2024, 12:16 PM   #1
hiki08
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05

Windshield wiper fluid problem

So the car's a year out of warranty (4yo) and the windshield wiper fluid spray jets started having issues. I'll describe the symptoms below, but essentially BMW dealer is asking for US$230 for disassembly to check. If it's a pump issue then it's an extra US$380. Prices sound crazy to me but any thoughts? Not familiar with good independent garages locally...

The spray jets went from strong to less and less until no water came out within the timeframe of a single squirt. I thought it was empty and tried to fill it up but the refill didn't really seem to go 'down' the washer fluid container and appeared full (liquid visible sitting up to the brim) after just 1 medium bottle of distilled water. Water level did not seem to go down after 5 minutes but after a lengthier drive, I checked that the liquid went down when I got home. Tried adding more water and it again appeared as if filled up. Tried using the washer jets again, but Water still didn't really come out from the jets water only reached 1/3 height of windscreen. Haven't tried using the jets after that in fear of it damaging the pump so that's all the observations I have.

Any idea what might be the problem? The pump or the filter maybe? I've never added any washer liquid myself as I don't use the jets all that often. Dealer says they would never add cleaners in it, only water during regular servicing...
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 12:45 PM   #2
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
I am thinking it maybe the filter screen blocked. You could try disconnecting the hose/tube where it connects to the nozzles along the inside of the hood. Once disconnected, try blowing some compressed air through the tube. If that does not work then more investigation is required. Replacing the washer motor requires the removal of the fender liner. PIA. Good luck.

Appreciate 1
hiki08173.50
      04-06-2024, 11:19 PM   #3
hiki08
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by denaliman View Post
I am thinking it maybe the filter screen blocked. You could try disconnecting the hose/tube where it connects to the nozzles along the inside of the hood. Once disconnected, try blowing some compressed air through the tube. If that does not work then more investigation is required. Replacing the washer motor requires the removal of the fender liner. PIA. Good luck.
Thanks. Not much of a car tinkering myself. From how you've described it, disassembly for further investigation isn't a simple job... so maybe what the price the dealer is asking for is justified then?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 03:26 AM   #4
jmilner83
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 3.0 M-Sport

I had the same issue and also experienced it with our X1 and 3 series in the past. It's a very common BMW issue with "gunk" build up in the washer tank filters.

The fix is pretty easy once you remove the washer fluid tank, remove the filter(s) and wash away the gunk.

To access washer fluid tank by removing the wheel, remove the plastic around the wheel arch, couple of holding bolts from the washer tank and remove the connecting hose. Remove the tank and wash the filters. Reverse the process to re-assemble.

It's a bit of a awkward job due to the location of the washer tank but really achievable with the right tools.
Appreciate 0