E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Need help with headlight issue!!

01-22-2012, 11:05 AM   #1
reeltime
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 G82 M4

Need help with headlight issue!!

You guys don't understand how much I've researched trying to find a solution to my problem...haven't found anything yet. I need to figure out a solution, so please guys anything can help.

It's an 06 330i. Xenon d1s bulbs.

My left headlamp (drivers side) is being weird..sorry but for a lack of a better term. It's hard to describe, but the light doesn't seem contained in the projected area.. If you compare it to my right headlamp, it looks how a normal xenon would look. My left one is just doing its own thing over here haha. I'll try to get some pictures to try and show you guys what I'm trying to say.

Also, the AE on the right headlamp seem fine, but my left headlamp AE seems messed up. It might be because the light from the bulb is overlapping the AE. Like I said, it just doesn't seem contained.

I replaced the bulbs, but that wasn't it. For a better description, the right headlamp seems to be a bluish white color while my left headlamp seems to be a very bright white.

Right headlamp

Left Headlamp

Last edited by reeltime; 01-22-2012 at 11:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #2
simonsingh
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 640d

Take the bulb and ballast out of the bad headlight and swap over to the good one. See if the problem follows the headlights or the xenon.

Once you've done that you can rule out bulb/ballast. Then swap over the physical headlights from one side to the other and plug in (if you can). If the problem follows the headlight, then it's the headlight, if not then it's down to the FRM or the wiring.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 01:06 PM   #3
reeltime
Captain
Rep

Sounds good. If you don't mind me asking, how would I go about removing the ballast?

It's definitely not the bulb because I've Replaced the bulbs. I think it could be from the actual headlight, but I'll try plugging In my right one and go from there.

Could firmware be an issue?

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #4
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

I'm afraid this might be a physical deal where maybe one of the projector mounting points came loose/broke off from a pothole or hard bump.

If you're OK with taking stuff apart, I'd personally just pull the headlight apart from the back and remove the projector and inspect it. It's a good bit of work and you need to be very careful, but that should give you the answer you need.

Definitely try swapping ballasts before doing something like it though.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 01:27 PM   #5
reeltime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakev724
I'm afraid this might be a physical deal where maybe one of the projector mounting points came loose/broke off from a pothole or hard bump.

If you're OK with taking stuff apart, I'd personally just pull the headlight apart from the back and remove the projector and inspect it. It's a good bit of work and you need to be very careful, but that should give you the answer you need.

Definitely try swapping ballasts before doing something like it though.
Yakev I think you might be right actually. I was afraid someone would say that. When I bought the car the drivers side stepper motor was broken. I feel like the previous owner hit a pothole and broke the stepper motor and the projector mounting.

Hypothetically speaking, if the ballasts were to fail, wouldnt the lights just not turn on? Or would a ballast fail give you a discoloration?

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
reeltime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90n52b30
No the lights would not turn on if the ballast failed. Did you replace the bulbs in pairs?

It's impossible to get exact mixtures of the gases in xenon bulbs. So it's recommended to replace them in pairs.
That's what I assumed. Yeah I changed them in a pair. They're the Phillips 6000k.

I feel like it might be the mounting for the projector.

I have CPO..would it be covered under that?

Any other ideas?

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 08:37 PM   #7
reeltime
Captain
Rep

I have CPO, i'll bring it to the dealer and try seeing what they say

Appreciate 0