BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

08-12-2023, 12:05 PM   #1
HVMihnea
Rep
Drives: F01 730d, G11 730d

Sagging rear on both sides

Hello friends,
I left my car unattended in a garage for ~2 weeks. Took it out today, the rear was sagging on both sides equally (front was fine!). Upon startup, it immediately inflated back up to normal and gave no errors or warnings.
My suspension system has been fully replaced - 2 years ago for the front, lasy year for the rear. Compressor and valves on both occasions 😁. As for my experience, the shocks go out with leaks. I checked for oil leaks and found nothing, but the manual does say that the vehicle can lower itself after such a long period. But it never says whether it's the whole car, or just the rear. As far as I understand, this is a sealed system. What would you do in this situation? I'd rather not pay BMW 100€ for a diagnosis unless I suspected the warranty I have on the parts would come into play. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2023, 03:20 PM   #2
Raimo5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d xDrive (G11)

If it was two weeks then I wouldn't worry about it for the time being, especially considering that your suspension is pretty fresh.

And yes, it is acceptable for it to lose air at different rates between axles.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2023, 05:58 PM   #3
HVMihnea
Rep
Drives: F01 730d, G11 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimo5 View Post
If it was two weeks then I wouldn't worry about it for the time being, especially considering that your suspension is pretty fresh.

And yes, it is acceptable for it to lose air at different rates between axles.
Thanks for the reply man. I felt like the owner's manual mentioning this was just some hopium. Would you consider pulling out the compressor fuse and driving around like that to see whether it keeps deflating a bad idea?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2023, 03:30 AM   #4
Raimo5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d xDrive (G11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVMihnea View Post
I felt like the owner's manual mentioning this was just some hopium.
The system consists of air springs, relief valves, flimsy plastic lines, valve blocks, compressor, accumulation tanks ... you get the picture. Not even in theory can you maintain a perfect air tightness in the system without any diffusion, so certain amount of air leakage is normal and accounted for when engineers design the system. If the system was meant to be airtight, we wouldn't need the compressor. Where we run into problems are where leaks are larger and compressor needs to run frequently. This will kill compressor as it was only ever designed for periodic fill-ups, not continuous running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVMihnea View Post
Would you consider pulling out the compressor fuse and driving around like that to see whether it keeps deflating a bad idea?
It would indeed be a bad idea. During driving, the vehicle's suspension experiences dynamic loads different from just standing there with weight on its wheels. You will immediately end up with chassis control error messages and VDP might shut down air spring regulation altogether due to inaccessible compressor. This could lead to rapid deflating of air bellows.

Last edited by Raimo5; 08-13-2023 at 03:44 AM..
Appreciate 0