BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-11-2011, 03:25 PM   #45
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Mine is photography, which has morphed into a second career.

I also have a pretty decent video/computer game collection but I haven't finished most of them, never have the time.

Jet skis / wave runners are pretty awesome. A friend of mine used to run a couple of different rental operations in FL. He was pretty adamant that Sea Doos weren't that great in salt water for reliability, but were OK in fresh. For salt water he preferred Yamaha. This was a while back though so maybe that's changed.
      09-11-2011, 03:44 PM   #46
Wolf
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: on hold

boxing! you never know when you need to break someone's jaw
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
BMW have tapped into this by mirroring typical BMW dynamics and steering communication within the new UKL cars.
You mean massive body roll, a steering system that is not connected to the front wheels, and the engine note played through the speaker system?!?!?!?!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 04:10 PM   #47
xerox445
Damenslip-Tropfer
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
boxing! you never know when you need to break someone's jaw
Take the Bar, you never know when you might need legal help. IE after breaking someones jaw
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 04:48 PM   #48
Andrew@ET
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Red thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
Mine is photography, which has morphed into a second career.

I also have a pretty decent video/computer game collection but I haven't finished most of them, never have the time.

Jet skis / wave runners are pretty awesome. A friend of mine used to run a couple of different rental operations in FL. He was pretty adamant that Sea Doos weren't that great in salt water for reliability, but were OK in fresh. For salt water he preferred Yamaha. This was a while back though so maybe that's changed.
Seadoo does suck they make some pretty fast ski's though but they are so damn heavy and large they drive like a boat.

My honda on the other hand drives like a 600 hp miata HOLD ON!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 05:48 PM   #49
Nedim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

I just got into reef aquariums, got my tank set up and it is cycling right now. Its a fun hobby and you learn a lot
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 06:03 PM   #50
xtac
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 Comp

Start a business.

Read top 10 books in any genre

learn to program

photography and shoot models

deck out your home with cool electronics and set up a sick home theatre

carpentry

do all sorts of cool shit like sky diving, learn to dive from high places, all extreme sports fit here

race fast cars on track, see if you can some how get into an F1

travel. you can waste your entire life traveling, so narrow down the big trips.

stand up comedian, or atleast try it out

author a book

film a short

become a pick up artist

go help someone in need, or charity something, start up a fund for a cause etc..

create a website in a topic of your choice and be the goto community

become a realtor and sell a house just for the fun of it

build a house, or commercial RE plaza

pro gambler, poker, blackjack etc.

too many to list.
      09-11-2011, 06:56 PM   #51
mikeith
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i. TiAG

My main hobby now is snowboarding and with you living so close to a resort i think you should give it a try. go rent a few times(you'll hate the first day or two but dont give up) then once you start picking up the basics you'll love it!, i only went a few times last year, but i picked it up and got better than people who have been going for years but its probably just because i've always been very adventurous an and adrenalin junky so i really push myself at anything i do. i just ordered my own board since i got promoted and will have alot more time off to go this season.

I used to be REALLY bing into freestyle sportbike riding or "stunting" since i've been on motorcycles since i was a kid and i had tons of fun at it but i had a problem keeping myself from doing it on the street which even though i stayed well within my limits there it was still dangerous so i got out of it before i got hurt too bad or killed.

I've really been wanting to pick up mountain biking but with it already cooling off for fall and winter i may wait till spring and get one since i have enough to keep me busy for now.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 08:52 PM   #52
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si, 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si  [9.00]
If I had $20,000 to blow on a hobby, I would become a day trader as a hobby.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 09:53 PM   #53
Vanity
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries326 View Post
If I had $20,000 to blow on a hobby, I would become a day trader as a hobby.
You should definitely consider

I just made 5 figures in 3 days.

Btw I am really thanking everyone here for their contribution to this thread. Here's the progress so far:

Sailing: Sailing season is ending soon so instead of trying it out for 2 months, I'm going to wait until March/April before I start it. I think Catamarans is what I want to try mastering. Anyone know much about this?

Paintballing: Going to go start this by the end of the month! Pretty excited! Anyone have tips or ideas on what kind of gear I should use? How thick should my clothing be?

Keep those suggestions coming!
      09-11-2011, 10:06 PM   #54
Vanity
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtac View Post
Start a business. wouldn't know which kind

Read top 10 books in any genre I'm an English Major, this will self-fulfill

learn to program nty

photography and shoot models Been there, done that. Model went apeshit on me after, etc etc.

deck out your home with cool electronics and set up a sick home theatre already have a home theatre set up

carpentry nty

do all sorts of cool shit like sky diving, learn to dive from high places, all extreme sports fit here YES! More info on this, I really wanna start Paragliding or Skydiving!

race fast cars on track, see if you can some how get into an F1 bit expensive...

travel. you can waste your entire life traveling, so narrow down the big trips. This is already being considered, but not really as a regular-hobby cause that'd be really expensive/time-consuming atm.

stand up comedian, or atleast try it out Already the funny guy in my circle

author a book How about authoring essays?

film a short not really my thing. Photography is more like it

become a pick up artist

go help someone in need, or charity something, start up a fund for a cause etc.. I give money to the homeless whenever I see em, or whenever I can.

create a website in a topic of your choice and be the goto community Too much effort and no cause motivating enough atm.

become a realtor and sell a house just for the fun of it Very interesting... Hrmm

build a house, or commercial RE plaza nty

pro gambler, poker, blackjack etc. I always lose gambling in games.

too many to list. IKR?
      09-11-2011, 10:24 PM   #55
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
+1000 for Scuba. We have some of the best cold-water diving in the world right off our coast. Get your Open Water and dry-suit cert & you're off. For $20K, prima gear and loads of jing to carry u to the best dives. $0.02
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 11:09 PM   #56
BMW//M
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Convertible

A fun hobby is running around the US and Mexican border looking for drug-traffickers and then mowing them down with some heavy artillery. It's not for all but its got its thrills. Also, you can start a small donut shop business, maybe?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 07:58 AM   #57
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si, 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si  [9.00]
I've got 1/10 RC Cars that I drift with. My kids love watching the cars drift and I'm teaching them how to use the controller but they're still too young. You don't need $20,000 and the hobby is fun if you like working on little cars, painting 1/10 scale bodies, etc...

BTW, is that $20,000 a one time hobby expense or you plan on spending $20,000 a year? If I were still single, I'd blow that $20,000 a year partying in different places round the world. I guess international clubbing could be a hobby if you wanted it to be. More fun than stamp collecting or bird watching.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 12:42 PM   #58
GreasyGinzo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 AW 6MT M3(Totaled)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@EMSTUNING View Post
Seadoo does suck they make some pretty fast ski's though but they are so damn heavy and large they drive like a boat.

My honda on the other hand drives like a 600 hp miata HOLD ON!

Don't be mad because every RXP / RXPX or any supercharged Seadoo for that matter walks away from you. Seriously you can't say you are into ski's if you own a Honda. Yamaha or Seadoo is the only way to go for performance on the water.
      09-12-2011, 01:10 PM   #59
MTV
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, Volvo S60R

Day trading with 20k. but make sure you know wtf youre doing ahah
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 01:10 PM   #60
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Kayaking and hiking sound like good hobbies- get out in nature for a bit and do something that's also good exercise...and you can take up some photography while hiking. Mountain biking..you're in Canada so i figure you got lots of natural awesomeness.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 02:07 PM   #61
BMW//M
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTV View Post
Day trading with 20k. but make sure you know wtf youre doing ahah
Yea, there's a lot of bargains out there with the markets the way the are. But best to be pessimistic about the economy and short sell!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 04:17 PM   #62
Wolf
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: on hold

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerox445 View Post
Take the Bar, you never know when you might need legal help. IE after breaking someones jaw
good thing I don't live where you live... here you could use some boxing lessons to get through the day sometimes
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
BMW have tapped into this by mirroring typical BMW dynamics and steering communication within the new UKL cars.
You mean massive body roll, a steering system that is not connected to the front wheels, and the engine note played through the speaker system?!?!?!?!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 12:37 AM   #63
Nutballa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F13 M6 // BMW F22 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanity View Post
You should definitely consider

I just made 5 figures in 3 days.

Btw I am really thanking everyone here for their contribution to this thread. Here's the progress so far:

Sailing: Sailing season is ending soon so instead of trying it out for 2 months, I'm going to wait until March/April before I start it. I think Catamarans is what I want to try mastering. Anyone know much about this?

Paintballing: Going to go start this by the end of the month! Pretty excited! Anyone have tips or ideas on what kind of gear I should use? How thick should my clothing be?

Keep those suggestions coming!
I used to play paintball as a hobby. I would play competitively. I still have my gear. Since you're starting out I'll just suggest gear that's for beginners to moderate skill level. Paintball guns can get pretty expensive. 500-1000+ if you're serious about the sport.I would look at the Tippman paintball brand, gun wise. Check out tippmann.com. The guns a tough, and can take some abuse from pretty much any condition/environment you're in. You probably be able to find the guns the manufac. sells cheaper on another paintball website.

Now you'll need a hopper( device that holds and feeds the paintballs into your gun). You can get for "gravity feeding" or "force feeding hoppers". Gravity fed hoppers feed pretty slow and you may risk a gun jam with it in combat or ball chop, which isn't good. Force feeding hoppers are electric and force the balls in the barrel chamber. They feed faster,thus allowing you to shoot at a faster rate and minimize jamming. Brands include but not limited: Halo B hoppers, Empire prophecy Z2, Dye Rotor( fast as hell! but expensive) and standard premium brand( slow, gravity fed). Next, you're going to need a mask. Their are many types and brands to choose from. Just buy what you like.

You're going to need an air-tank to power your paintball gun. You can either get c02 or compressed air tanks. IMO, C02 tanks are in-efficient, may freeze up the gun internals, and reduce accuracy, heavy... Compressed Air tanks are better and more efficient, and won't damage the internals. Plus you can get Carbon fiber air tanks and they are much lighter than C02 tanks. check http://www.ansgear.com/default.asp

Alright, clothing wise, you can wear something bummy that you don't care to get ripped or filthy. I wore paintball pants that a padded and protect my knees from sliding and diving. A light long sleeve shirt is fine. I usually would play paintball with a jersey long sleeve top. you can find those on online paintball stores. I never wore extra padding because I could take the pain The adrenaline will kick in and you won't feel it. http://www.ansgear.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=pants

You can also buy accessories such as pods waist holder for extra ammo and squeegee for unjamming you barrel incase of a paintball breakage.
When you buy paintballs to shoot I would suggest you get a grade above premium. Premium is good if your wanting to play a cheap game of paintball for a day, but the paintballs may not be as accurate. some are more likely to break. high grade paintballs have more consistent trajectory, are less likely to break in the hooper or barrel but they are more. example premium bag of 1000 rounds, $20 vs high grade 1000 rounds for $30-40.
Hope some of this helps. I could expand more but would rather you ask me about it via PM. don't care about typos lol...

I would love for you the PM me some advise on day trading. I currently have accounts with scottrade and etrade, but very little funds. Haven't made many purchases due to market volatility from past 2 years. Not familiar with day trading. A little info would be great.

"Power is nothing without Control" - Pirelli.

Last edited by Nutballa; 09-14-2011 at 12:48 AM..
Appreciate 0