Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-29-2015, 02:38 PM   #1
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

At what point do you really need upgraded charge pipes?

As the title says, at what point should one consider upgraded charge pipes?

JB4 Map 1 / 2?

JB4 Map 7 / 8 (with meth)?

A specific boost target?

Any experience or opinions welcome. Personally I'm not looking to upgrade something that doesn't need to be done.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 03:21 PM   #2
s0ul
Coder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 328xi, '16 F82 (soon)

You don't have to replace them but I've read that they've blow out even if you aren't running a tune.

I think it's a peace of mind to replace them. I plan to do so as well.
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2015, 06:17 PM   #3
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0ul View Post
You don't have to replace them but I've read that they've blow out even if you aren't running a tune.

I think it's a peace of mind to replace them. I plan to do so as well.
I usually recommend people put a charge pipe on the list of things they are getting once they go tuned.

Mike
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2015, 06:30 PM   #4
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep

Can you run map 2 as your everyday without blowing the stock charge pipes?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 06:45 PM   #5
s0ul
Coder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 328xi, '16 F82 (soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
Can you run map 2 as your everyday without blowing the stock charge pipes?
Sure you can, but be prepared to replace it when it blows out.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 07:56 PM   #6
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

The stock charge pipes are hit or miss. Some blow out on stock boost, others hold on for thousands of miles at 25+psi and are still fine. I personally wouldn't change my charge pipes until I blew my stock ones out. Maybe for some under-hood bling factor or meth, but other than that, I would rock the stockers until they go.

IG and Twitter: @CaryTheLabelGuy
Appreciate 2
      11-29-2015, 08:06 PM   #7
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryTheLabelGuy View Post
The stock charge pipes are hit or miss. Some blow out on stock boost, others hold on for thousands of miles at 25+psi and are still fine. I personally wouldn't change my charge pipes until I blew my stock ones out. Maybe for some under-hood bling factor or meth, but other than that, I would rock the stockers until they go.
I got some black er charge pipes and have not decided if I will install them or not. The guy who does the work on my car said Im going to hurt IAT going from plastic. I would just hate to get stranded somewhere over not doing a simple upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 08:26 PM   #8
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
I got some black er charge pipes and have not decided if I will install them or not. The guy who does the work on my car said Im going to hurt IAT going from plastic. I would just hate to get stranded somewhere over not doing a simple upgrade.
Blown charge pipes won't necessarily leave you stranded. The engine will typically still run, just won't build any boost.

Appreciate 3
      11-29-2015, 08:30 PM   #9
packetpilot
Banned
Rep
Drives: California Packet
Location: Left edge of browser window beneath 'join date' obvi

Quote:
Blown charge pipes won't necessarily leave you stranded. The engine will typically still run, just won't build any boost.
Truth. I don't know about the S55 (mine's only a few weeks in), but did pop the pipes off on my N54 (Cobb Stg2+) a couple times, and the motor ran fine but was boostless of course. The pipes simply needed to be re-fitted and weren't damaged, and the only times they popped on me were when I was being a dumbass in the wet with wheel-spin + an open diff + load spikes once I found grip.

edit: of course you'll wanna pop that pipe back on ASAP especially in a dusty environment. Unfiltered air flowing through your IC, into your throttle body, and into the combustion chamber is, well, "less than ideal".
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2015, 08:35 PM   #10
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Any comment on the increased IAT? I got a sick deal on the ER pipes for black Friday. I would like to use them but dont want to do more harm than good.

Thisisdave - the failures I have seen on the s55 split the plastic pipe and I think they cost ~$300.
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2015, 09:07 PM   #11
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Any comment on the increased IAT? I got a sick deal on the ER pipes for black Friday. I would like to use them but dont want to do more harm than good.

Thisisdave - the failures I have seen on the s55 split the plastic pipe and I think they cost ~$300.
Well, the metal charge pipes will heat soak faster than the plastic ones. I really wouldn't worry about IAT too much as the difference will probably be negligible.

Appreciate 1
      11-29-2015, 09:25 PM   #12
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep

Quote:
This exactly. I've been looking at the ER pipes on black friday / cyber monday sale and wondering if I should just order them now, preventatively, or if they're even necessary.

I plan to run in map 2, and really don't want to get stranded somewhere over a split plastic boost pipe.

Any users who actually had this happen to them want to chime in??
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 09:47 PM   #13
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This exactly. I've been looking at the ER pipes on black friday / cyber monday sale and wondering if I should just order them now, preventatively, or if they're even necessary.

I plan to run in map 2, and really don't want to get stranded somewhere over a split plastic boost pipe.

Any users who actually had this happen to them want to chime in??
Did you read my post above? A blown charge pipe won't leave you stranded. You just won't be able to build any boost. The engine will continue to run in vacuume.

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 11:45 PM   #14
sA x sKy
Sameet
Bangladesh
Rep
Drives: AY/B M4 '15

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Well, the metal charge pipes will heat soak faster than the plastic ones. I really wouldn't worry about IAT too much as the difference will probably be negligible.
Not true. My Chargepipes were hot even after an hour and a half of sitting at the track the other day. IATs were hitting 110*F on a 65*F day. Could be because my AWE heat exchanger isn't bleed properly though. Either way, the metal def seems to stay hotter longer. Bags of ice helped that problem tho.

There's a local tuning company that have came out with their own set of Chargepipes including the pipe that connects from the intercooler to the throttle body. The meth bung is actually located on that pipe and not the Chargepipes. I may give this a try when it's released in two weeks.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 08:59 AM   #15
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sA x sKy View Post
Not true. My Chargepipes were hot even after an hour and a half of sitting at the track the other day. IATs were hitting 110*F on a 65*F day. Could be because my AWE heat exchanger isn't bleed properly though. Either way, the metal def seems to stay hotter longer. Bags of ice helped that problem tho.

There's a local tuning company that have came out with their own set of Chargepipes including the pipe that connects from the intercooler to the throttle body. The meth bung is actually located on that pipe and not the Chargepipes. I may give this a try when it's released in two weeks.
I'm agreeing with you that the metal charge pipes will heat soak faster and obviously stay hot longer. However, peak IATs should be close to the same.

I don't think your heat exchanger was bleed properly, TBH. You shouldn't be having these IATs. I can do pull after pull after pull on the stock heat exchanger and my IATs will barely climb over about 105deg in the Florida heat. During the run, IATs should actually slightly lower, then raise again and top out.

Appreciate 1
      11-30-2015, 03:36 PM   #16
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Did you read my post above? A blown charge pipe won't leave you stranded. You just won't be able to build any boost. The engine will continue to run in vacuume.
This is partially true but you also have unfiltered air and potential limp mode. Not exactly the safest way to drive around.

Quote:
I'm agreeing with you that the metal charge pipes will heat soak faster and obviously stay hot longer. However, peak IATs should be close to the same.

I don't think your heat exchanger was bleed properly, TBH. You shouldn't be having these IATs. I can do pull after pull after pull on the stock heat exchanger and my IATs will barely climb over about 105deg in the Florida heat. During the run, IATs should actually slightly lower, then raise again and top out.

I'm inclined to agree here. I think he needs to bleed the exchanger again.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 04:32 PM   #17
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
As the title says, at what point should one consider upgraded charge pipes?

JB4 Map 1 / 2?

JB4 Map 7 / 8 (with meth)?

A specific boost target?

Any experience or opinions welcome. Personally I'm not looking to upgrade something that doesn't need to be done.
Unfortunately there is not set point where CP will fail. I recommend to get a CP after your tune.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 05:17 PM   #18
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

I have heard rumblings if fitment issues when running both ER charge pipes and AWE intake. Can anyone confirm this?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 05:30 PM   #19
stranger
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sA x sKy View Post

Any more details on this?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 05:30 PM   #20
///M ARMY
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90

Quote:
I have heard rumblings if fitment issues when running both ER charge pipes and AWE intake. Can anyone confirm this?
Yes this is true but not only with ER but with another brand as well. ER is working on a solution for this as we speak.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2015, 05:32 PM   #21
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M ARMY View Post
Yes this is true but not only with ER but with another brand as well. ER is working on a solution for this as we speak.
Why would ER change to fit AWE? Is this a problem with stock intakes? Should I cancel my current ER order and wait?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 05:51 PM   #22
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
This is partially true but you also have unfiltered air and potential limp mode. Not exactly the safest way to drive around.
I'm not saying it's a good idea to run around with blown charge pipes, the question was whether you'd be "stranded" if one blew out and the answer to that is NO. You won't be stranded. You'll be able to drive the car to a safe place. A few miles of unfiltered air won't hurt anything, trust me. I have tuned several very high powered cars that run ZERO filters and while I don't think it is smart in the log run, they seem to be fine.

Appreciate 0