BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

05-06-2024, 03:54 PM   #1
TexasBruiser
Rep
Drives: BMW 750i xDrive

CEL - Symtoms and Fixes

I read here in Bimmerpost 6 that the CEL could be turned off in the following manner: disconnect both batteries (yes, I have two - trunk = main, engine = aux); touch the two cables together for a few seconds and bleed off the charge. That this would delete the "permanent" stored code in the ECM and BCM.

My issue is those NASTY active grill shutters. There is nothing actually wrong with the mechanics; but the light is on due to some glitch in the software.

I have ISTA+ and all the related software, but have never gone into the programming mode to try and turn off the active grill function. As they are "stuck" in the open position, I could hardly care (here in Texas).

The biggest bad result is that no inspection station will even hook up the machine with any fault lights on...and I am closing in on my due date for annual license.

YES, I have replace both motors with genuine OWM actuators and checked voltage AND there are no other codes.

It is such a bad problem that BMWNA issued a very limited recall Notice with the NTSB, but my vehicle was produced 2 months too early.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 06:37 PM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBruiser View Post
I read here in Bimmerpost 6 that the CEL could be turned off in the following manner: disconnect both batteries (yes, I have two - trunk = main, engine = aux); touch the two cables together for a few seconds and bleed off the charge. That this would delete the "permanent" stored code in the ECM and BCM.
Unfortunately you read incorrect information.

The CEL warning light is part of the OBD II federal mandate instituted back in 1996. The light can’t be manipulated to “turn off”. The fault codes can be cleared, but if they remain, the light will turn on again. Or if the fault code is NOT detected THRICE during a “drive cycle” the light will turn off on its own.

See the 3rd & 4th bullets in the info directly below:

Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 05-06-2024 at 07:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 07:19 PM   #3
Raimo5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d xDrive (G11)

What codes are we even talking about?

Radiator blinds are emissions equipment, that is why their malfunction triggers CEL. There is no coding out the emissions equipment.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 07:56 AM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

FYI...I was just on the G30 forum and issues with the radiator blinds was being discussed...one forum member gave coding info to deactivate them. I don't know what model year the OP has...but if their model year can use coding apps like Bimmercode or ISTA...perhaps they can deactivate the blinds if they don't care if they operate or not.

Here's a link: https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...71&postcount=4

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0