BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-04-2008, 09:49 AM   #1
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

Aussies: Get the Premium sound upgrade!

It is worth every penny. Seriously. Once I had played around with the tone+equaliser settings and put the DPS to Theater and faded to the rear slightly the sound coming from those 10 speakers was sensational.

I use Michael Jackson's Billie Jean to test sound systems for its great mix of beats, instruments and Michael's excellent vocals.

One Very high bit rate (lossless) MP3's or original CD's perform outstandingly on this sytem at high volumes.

I you are a bit of an audiophile or just enjoy listening to quality music on long journeys then the uprade is worth it.:thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2008, 10:01 AM   #2
Choclove23
Infrequent Browser
Australia
Rep
Drives: 130i M-Sport

Garage List
How much..??
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2008, 10:02 AM   #3
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

Alex, I upgraded to the 10 speaker system (still don't know it's real name) and I am more than happy with the sound quality off the iPod. Funnily enough, I didn't think I would be, but it's far better than my previous wheels where I'd also upgraded to the Premium system.
      10-04-2008, 05:19 PM   #4
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
This has made me think of another question- I have the speaker upgrade, just not the Pro tuner etc (was having trouble justifying $1400 for that part at the time).

Is it possible to have that option (or any other) fitted after delivery? I expect things like the adaptive lights, sunroof etc must be done at factory but what about CA and other things?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2008, 08:19 PM   #5
SimonB
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyv View Post
This has made me think of another question- I have the speaker upgrade, just not the Pro tuner etc (was having trouble justifying $1400 for that part at the time).

Is it possible to have that option (or any other) fitted after delivery? I expect things like the adaptive lights, sunroof etc must be done at factory but what about CA and other things?
Yeah, me too, mattyv (re the additional cost for the Logic7). Anything's possible I guess, but it'd cost waaaay more now. CA'd be a right pain because of the receivers in the doors etc.
      10-05-2008, 12:46 AM   #6
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alext View Post
It is worth every penny. Seriously. Once I had played around with the tone+equaliser settings and put the DPS to Theater and faded to the rear slightly the sound coming from those 10 speakers was sensational.

I use Michael Jackson's Billie Jean to test sound systems for its great mix of beats, instruments and Michael's excellent vocals.

One Very high bit rate (lossless) MP3's or original CD's perform outstandingly on this sytem at high volumes.

I you are a bit of an audiophile or just enjoy listening to quality music on long journeys then the uprade is worth it.:thumbup:
Great to hear. I'm rather pedantic about my music. This is one of the few extras I did splurge on. BTW, from the research I did before ordering, the top end 1 series system (Hi-Fi sytem Profesional) is not actually Logic 7 and doesn't get the flash aluminium cone speakers & digital signal processing that full on Logic 7 comes with. As long as it sounds good!

I'll have to get a copy of Billie Jean before my delivery in a few weeks! Who's bad?
      10-05-2008, 02:29 AM   #7
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

TimMc Hi-Fi Pro is Logic 7, and the tweeters are aluminum on the Pro.

Despite not having a centre channel, the Logic 7 specs does allow for a virtual centre speaker, which the 1 series Hi-Fi Pro implementation uses.
      10-05-2008, 03:17 AM   #8
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d

Although I have Logic 7 sometimes I drive with the system off and the windows down just to heard the sweet symphony of the N54! :biggrin:

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2008, 06:47 AM   #9
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieRacer View Post
TimMc Hi-Fi Pro is Logic 7, and the tweeters are aluminum on the Pro.

Despite not having a centre channel, the Logic 7 specs does allow for a virtual centre speaker, which the 1 series Hi-Fi Pro implementation uses.
You may well be right Aussie but that's not the way I read the BMW documentation I was privy to. I'll try & find it later. Further, here's what the dealer emailed me.

"> Hi Tim
> The top of the range sound system in the 1 series coupe is the 'Hi Fi
> System professional' not Logic 7 as per input era on the contract which
> will be corrected by admin.
> The attachment I sent earlier is the correct info for the 1 series coupe.
> Let me know if this helps.
"
      10-05-2008, 07:00 AM   #10
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep

I might stand corrected.

The Professional Head Unit definitely states Logic7 on its display, but when I went digging through my old files around the time I got my 120i, I came across the attached PDF. The lack of reference to Logic7 is quite telling! But that was '04, so who knows??
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Harman.pdf (237.3 KB, 127 views)
      10-05-2008, 07:13 AM   #11
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
as per input era on the contract
What is this world coming to??

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2008, 07:35 AM   #12
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alext View Post

Thanks for your input. I've ordered the Hifi 10 Speaker Sound System ($1115) upgrade and I was a little unsure of how good it would actually sound... I can't wait to hear it now! :headbang:
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2008, 09:34 AM   #13
SimonB
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amk2912 View Post
What is this world coming to??
Terrible, isn't it? Getting all too common though, I'm afraid.
      10-05-2008, 02:34 PM   #14
harpoon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

I thought it was logic 7 but when you read posts on the main forum regarding the sound system, it sounds like guys in the US have a few settings that we don't have in Aus. so I dont believe it is.

I agree its worth the extra money but still think the bass is a little lacking.
      10-05-2008, 04:06 PM   #15
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep

Harppon, US get the same Pro option as us. Difference in terminology comes from those that have iDrive and those that don't. With iDrive the Logic7 surround options are called different names, to the same settings on the Professional Head Unit (no iDrive).
      10-05-2008, 05:23 PM   #16
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
I have it and I feel it was a waste. Worst system of any car I've owned. Half of my angst comes from the fact it is not replaceable, (without mucho $) and there is a very annoying high pitched buzz in the rear right speaker. Also, my front right speaker is now popping and the seems to be no crossover for the highs and mids even tho there are 2 subs under the seats (w/o adjustability). I would definately go for standard with idrive. (way better Ipod navigation). Also: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ighlight=logic

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2008, 01:13 AM   #17
white 125M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: White 125 M Sport

I've ordered the HiFi Pro for my BSM 135 coupe - I had a similar system in my Z4 which was just brilliant, plus I heard this system in a 135 that was being delivered to a customer to get an idea of the acoustics and frankly, I was very impressed and definitely want it for the next car. At the end of the day, I'm 44 years old and I just don't want to muck around with head units and speaker combos - I just don't have the patience for this stuff anymore hence I'm happy to get it from BMW. Yeah, probably more expensive but it works very well.

By the way, we've ordered a Black Sapphire Metallic with Lemon interior, Auto, Pro Nav system, anti-dazzle mirror package, HiFi System Logic 7 (that's what it says on the order sheet) and the poplar grey trim. At this stage, we understand that our production run is in Feb 09 with delivery in around Apr or May - geez, it's going to be a bloody long wait but it'll be worth it.

Phil
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2008, 02:07 AM   #18
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_d View Post
I've ordered the HiFi Pro for my BSM 135 coupe - I had a similar system in my Z4 which was just brilliant, plus I heard this system in a 135 that was being delivered to a customer to get an idea of the acoustics and frankly, I was very impressed and definitely want it for the next car. At the end of the day, I'm 44 years old and I just don't want to muck around with head units and speaker combos - I just don't have the patience for this stuff anymore hence I'm happy to get it from BMW. Yeah, probably more expensive but it works very well.

By the way, we've ordered a Black Sapphire Metallic with Lemon interior, Auto, Pro Nav system, anti-dazzle mirror package, HiFi System Logic 7 (that's what it says on the order sheet) and the poplar grey trim. At this stage, we understand that our production run is in Feb 09 with delivery in around Apr or May - geez, it's going to be a bloody long wait but it'll be worth it.

Phil
Congrats on your car mate. I can't believe the wait is on until May!??
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2008, 02:38 AM   #19
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_d View Post

Phil
Sounds good Phil. The info I read implied that the Z4 had similar sound systems to the 1. I think all E80 series including the Z (82, 83, 87, E?) had the same sound options.

Well done with the new 1!
      10-06-2008, 02:52 AM   #20
stylish.
Easily bored...
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

I hope the issues that HondaGoneRogue states of doesn't present itself here in Oz! If I was ordering my 135i, I would definately get the best factory sound system!

By the way Phil, I love the lemon interior! I would probably option that as well if I were to configure my 135i. But I only have one major concern though... I wear jeans every 2nd day! Would love feedback from anyone, on how easy/hard it is to clean/maintain!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2008, 03:33 AM   #21
Binstar
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

I did some reading around about the 3 options. There is a good thread on these forums here: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15839

The top option has the double powered amp with dsp and also has the better metal speaker cones compared to the middle hi-fi option.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2008, 04:37 AM   #22
CeeJay
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylish. View Post
I love the lemon interior! I would probably option that as well if I were to configure my 135i. But I only have one major concern though... I wear jeans every 2nd day! Would love feedback from anyone, on how easy/hard it is to clean/maintain!
Stylish, I have the lemon interior and haven't had any issues with jeans marking the seats,including new jeans.
Came from having black leather seats in a previous car and maintenance is pretty much the same as what the black seats were.
Also have a friend with a 330i convertible in the same colours as my car ,the interior is as good as new and around 3 years old. She gets it detailed once a month and thats it.
Another advantage is the seats are nowhere near as hot after the car has been in the sun compared to dark leather, a bonus in Queensland!
Appreciate 0