BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-02-2011, 12:47 PM   #1
elegantlywasted
Rep
Drives: Mazda Miata MX 5

Price Advice for new 135i '11 Convertible fully loaded.

Hi,

I would appreciate some quick advice. A friend of mine is in the market for a new 6MT convertible. We went to a dealer yesterday, and they had a an '11 convertible 6MT fully loaded. The car's in service date is 6/10, and it has been used as an executive car and has 3000 miles on it.

The sticker price is 48,000, and the dealer said he would give a 'discount' and sell it for 46, which I think is ridiculous, given almost a year's loss of warrant and the number of miles on it. My friend has no problems ordering a new car for < 50k, but he does not like the idea of waiting for 3-4 months for the '12s to come in. Since he only wants a MT, he cannot simply pick up off a lot, since they're rare.

The dealer is clearly trying to shaft him with the 46k price tag. My question is, given the situation with the car, what take it or leave it figure can he give the dealer ?

As an example, another friend of mine reduced the sticker on a 335is from 58 -> 49, and that car had virtually the same story.

Thanks a ton in advance,

..i
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 01:15 PM   #2
Aries932
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegantlywasted View Post
Hi,

I would appreciate some quick advice. A friend of mine is in the market for a new 6MT convertible. We went to a dealer yesterday, and they had a an '11 convertible 6MT fully loaded. The car's in service date is 6/10, and it has been used as an executive car and has 3000 miles on it.

The sticker price is 48,000, and the dealer said he would give a 'discount' and sell it for 46, which I think is ridiculous, given almost a year's loss of warrant and the number of miles on it. My friend has no problems ordering a new car for < 50k, but he does not like the idea of waiting for 3-4 months for the '12s to come in. Since he only wants a MT, he cannot simply pick up off a lot, since they're rare.

The dealer is clearly trying to shaft him with the 46k price tag. My question is, given the situation with the car, what take it or leave it figure can he give the dealer ?

As an example, another friend of mine reduced the sticker on a 335is from 58 -> 49, and that car had virtually the same story.

Thanks a ton in advance,

..i
My advice is tell him to send a fax in to all the dealerships within 2 hours of where he is letting him know you what type of car you are looking for. Make sure you tell them that you will be contacting every other dealership within 200 miles of where they are asking the same thing. Then ask them for the best offer that they can give you. A couple of them might have the exact car and they will all be fighting to the death to give you a good deal.

Best advice is always be willing to make a dealer chase you. They will always chase they want the deal. Well...unless they are horrible at sales and or retarded, which is very possible.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

also. Go on the last day of the month. Best time to get a deal

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 01:25 PM   #4
elegantlywasted
Rep

Aries,

Thanks for the response. What you suggest is excellent advice if he wants to order a new car, which he will unless he can get a killer deal on the car we saw yesterday.

My question was more on the lines of what price he should offer for the current car. There are no 6MTs around this area, to my knowledge.

Thanks !

..i
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 01:44 PM   #5
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

I managed to get 8K off of my then new vert in august 08. Granted I had some luck. But that's not the only deal out there. Heck a lot of guys are getting rid of low mileage lease cars on this forum for low 30s that only have 10k miles and have been meticulously maintained. But personally I wouldn't spend 46 on a loaded vert with 3k miles when I got my 49k sticker vert for about 40 with 6 miles on the odo.

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 01:48 PM   #6
elegantlywasted
Rep

Broken,

I'm in full agreement. My friend has no problems with the price on a new one, even he does not get a killer deal. This one just popped up from nowhere. Should I ask him to give a 40k take it or leave it offer to the dealer ?

Thanks,

..i
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 01:50 PM   #7
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

I would. It sounds like the dealer is trying to get your friend to pay more because he wants a manual. Just always remember, the buyer is in control of the situation...always

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 01:58 PM   #8
elegantlywasted
Rep

Wide words. I'll ask him to make a 40k final offer. If the dealer says no, then, like someone suggested, we'll mail every dealer in a 200 mile radius [26 !] and then sit back and eat some popcorn and enjoy the fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
I would. It sounds like the dealer is trying to get your friend to pay more because he wants a manual. Just always remember, the buyer is in control of the situation...always
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 09:56 PM   #9
jpd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 135

Well your friend may need to wait several more months before getting a much better deal.Is the dealer selling it as a used car? Does your friend need to to finance? I suspect that the car might sell for $44-45 K. Your dreaming if he is going to sell it for 40K. Order a 2012 and take advantage of financing. However, 2012s are more pricey.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 09:59 PM   #10
elegantlywasted
Rep

jpd,

I think he'll try for 42k. He does not need to finance, although if they offer 0.9% on the new car I can see no reason not to. He's just in for this one to see if he can get a killer deal, and maybe not wait for too long.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 08:20 PM   #11
Mak135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911 GTS, X3M

I got my CPO exactly 6 months after its in service date for 37000$. Original sticker price was 50250$. Of course there are many variables, including time of year for a convertible (I got mine in September).
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 11:07 PM   #12
psalm40
Jet Black 135cic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i convertible

I picked up my '11 vert about 6 weeks ago, similar to the one you're looking at but DCT. No CPO. Full options minus active steering and smart phone cradle. Jet Black/beige. 7,2XX miles. I got it for $37,600...$40,000.00 out the door, tax/title/license/documentation.... Granted, Minnesota is a different market, especially convertibles in January!
      03-12-2011, 12:52 PM   #13
singular
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i ppk cab

elegantlywasted,

I did the FAX method in the SF Bay Area a couple of years ago for my '09 'vert. I sent FAXes to 15 dealers and got 5 responses back. A lot of people have used this to get near invoice pricing on custom ordered cars with no negotiation. There's a great thread on the topic.

Getting a used car, you might need to modify your approach. I noticed when I was looking that the dealers in the SF area all tap into the same pool of used cars, so you can find one dealership that has an on-line search capability and find out the local inventory. Then FAX offers to all the local dealerships for a used car to the exact specs of what you found. If you're reasonable, chances are one of them will bite. You'll get the same car no matter where you take your business.

The thing going against your friend is the 6MT requirement. So few people get manual anymore that the inventory will be very low. Most dealerships don't even stock new manuals anymore. I recently test-drove at the local Porsche dealership and they had only a couple of manual 911's on the lot.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 05:48 PM   #14
dicker
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Is the car a demo from the dealer or it a car BMW used and registered?

If it's the dealers car and not a BMW demo, if he can get $5-6k off he's doing great. If it's a BMW demo shoot for 40k. but settle for anything under 42k if he like it.

A 2012 will be more expensive for a stick, no contest.
Appreciate 0