BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #1
Blacklite
Rep
Drives: None-existent

Being loyal to one car make

I have this notion in my head that I need to be loyal to one car make. It's either chevy for life, BMW for life, Infiniti for life, etc. All my friends have a make they like, and are fanatics with, for example my friend has lived his whole life with Bimmers, another one Audis. And where am I? I know this is a really stupid notion but has anyone felt the same? The camaro is the only chevy car I like, the Infiniti coupes are the only infiniti cars I like. I like most bimmers but then I'd be "copying" my friends (stupid, I know, but I'd get teased about it) I feel like it can't be like that, and that I need to like most cars that a certain make makes, and be a fan. Has anyone felt like this?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 09:52 PM   #2
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklite View Post
I have this notion in my head that I need to be loyal to one car make. It's either chevy for life, BMW for life, Infiniti for life, etc. All my friends have a make they like, and are fanatics with, for example my friend has lived his whole life with Bimmers, another one Audis. And where am I? I know this is a really stupid notion but has anyone felt the same? The camaro is the only chevy car I like, the Infiniti coupes are the only infiniti cars I like. I like most bimmers but then I'd be "copying" my friends (stupid, I know, but I'd get teased about it) I feel like it can't be like that, and that I need to like most cars that a certain make makes, and be a fan. Has anyone felt like this?
I knew this sounded like a first post.

Be loyal to family and friends etc. not consumer goods.
      10-03-2011, 10:04 PM   #3
Vanity
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 LCI

Why would you bother limiting your only life to one car maker? It's one life buddy, try everything!
      10-03-2011, 10:24 PM   #4
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

how old are you?

in the event that you are over 18, get whatever car you like. if it's a bmw every time, then buy a bmw. otherwise, you're going to drive a buddy's car and be like 'aw man i wish i had this', but every time you go car shopping, you end up with the same car, just newer, with more useless bells and whistles.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 11:58 PM   #5
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanity View Post
Why would you bother limiting your only life to one car maker? It's one life buddy, try everything!
This.

How are you going to know which marque is "the one" if you haven't tried the others? And no, test drives are not the same as ownership.

Besides, do you really want to drive the same models over and over again? Personally, there are only a couple vehicles from each manufacturer that I'd even consider. There is not a manufacturer out there that has a car that really appeals to me in every segment....well maybe Porsche but that's getting into a pretty pricey garage.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 07:28 AM   #6
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
I prefer Porsche personally
They are my first choice, but once you have your first choice, it is nice to try other brands...
      10-04-2011, 08:33 AM   #7
carve
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

This is a dumb idea. There were psychological studies lately showing people who get hyped up over one brand...crap...I don't remember...it was either they use it for a sense of self-identity, or view it almost like a religion. Probably both, since many very religious use it for their self identity. Apple people tend to be the worst in this regard. Nothing against Apple- I'm typing this on a MacBook...I'm just not one of those fanbois who think they can do no wrong.

Oh yeah- I've never owned the same brand twice. I've had a Chevy, Toyota, Ford, Honda, Jeep and now BMW. I'll probably get a Subaru or Mazda next...looking for a ski car. I may consider a 2nd Honda or Toyota though.

Edit...here we go...
http://www.geek.com/articles/apple/a...ists-20110519/

Last edited by carve; 10-04-2011 at 08:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 08:42 AM   #8
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I've never owned the same brand twice. I've had a Toyota, Saab, Volvo, Infiniti, Nissan, Lotus, VW, then BMW - in that order. See what's out there and when you turn 16, drive a few and see what you like best.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 08:52 AM   #9
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

op is 12

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 09:04 AM   #10
carve
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Ahhh....so he means his friends parents have kept the same car for like...2 or 3 years maybe?

OP- you get this impression because your friends are immature and insecure, just like pretty much everyone is or was at 12, myself included. Don't worry about it and realize that all cars have their merits.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 09:34 AM   #11
etc335i
Trainee
El Salvador
Rep
Drives: BUS PASS

Merc.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 09:41 AM   #12
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Bahn View Post
I knew this sounded like a first post.

Be loyal to family and friends etc. not consumer goods.
+100

If you're loyal to one good / brand, you will be suckered by every marketing message, propaganda or whatever else that company may say. You may purchase item that suck because you're blind. Look at all the older generation Americans that buy American cars over and over even though they suck, are constantly in repair and couldn't be designed uglier. I've seen a few take the risk and switch over and were glad they did...
      10-04-2011, 09:43 AM   #13
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
It was never really a question for me. BMW for life. Its just about what cars you like the most, simple as that. I could never be in any other interior but a BMW's because it suits my tastes. same goes for exterior styling.

BMW ALL DAY EVERY DAY. You wont find me ever owning a new audi or mercedes. I might buy a 2004 A4 just for old times sake, and prolly a 1999 SL for the same reasons... but thats it. As you can tell, I am as loyal as it gets. This coming from a man with 3 E90's.
      10-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #14
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
Rep
Drives: Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
+100

If you're loyal to one good / brand, you will be suckered by every marketing message, propaganda or whatever else that company may say. You may purchase item that suck because you're blind. Look at all the older generation Americans that buy American cars over and over even though they suck, are constantly in repair and couldn't be designed uglier. I've seen a few take the risk and switch over and were glad they did...
... wait.. so you're trying to tell me I don't actually drive the ultimate driving machine?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 09:55 AM   #15
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGP View Post
... wait.. so you're trying to tell me I don't actually drive the ultimate driving machine?
Haha, maybe for the price yeah but definitely not in the bigger scheme of things. Go drive an AMG Benz, any modern day Porsche, a Lexus such as a Lexus ISF and Audi S line models... I'll be hard pressed if they don't impress you.

Even the way BMW is moving forward is not indicative of the ultimate driving machine any more... drive the new 5 and 7 and see how the driving experience translates there. I just hope they don't make that mistake with the new "3".
      10-04-2011, 10:04 AM   #16
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
Rep
Drives: Bandwagon

Honestly, having driven almost every vehicle I have deemed worth considering... I would have to say MB produces an unmatched ride quality.. except maybe Bentley. Audi and bimmer have similar driving feels. However, I never liked the weight of the Audi's quattro when compared to the rwd feel of the BMW. The BMW's steering wheel transfers a lot of feel from the car right to your hands; more so than the Audi imho.

Go to the exotic brands and you get what you pay for. Visceral driving machines wrapped in very expensive accoutrements. Extremely satisfying in almost all cases for anyone who has a passion for automobiles.

Japanese car brands have great reliability. But as far as standards go, there is a reason their price points are considerably lower than the European brands (this includes Lexus).
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 11:21 AM   #17
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

Buy my 328i.

Or have your parents write me a check bc thats seems to be whats going on here...
      10-04-2011, 11:35 AM   #18
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGP View Post
Honestly, having driven almost every vehicle I have deemed worth considering... I would have to say MB produces an unmatched ride quality.. except maybe Bentley. Audi and bimmer have similar driving feels. However, I never liked the weight of the Audi's quattro when compared to the rwd feel of the BMW. The BMW's steering wheel transfers a lot of feel from the car right to your hands; more so than the Audi imho.

Go to the exotic brands and you get what you pay for. Visceral driving machines wrapped in very expensive accoutrements. Extremely satisfying in almost all cases for anyone who has a passion for automobiles.

Japanese car brands have great reliability. But as far as standards go, there is a reason their price points are considerably lower than the European brands (this includes Lexus).
Haven't really tried Audis much but think BMW steering wheel feedback is losing it's touch. Had a z4 35is earlier this year and a 2011 e90 328i loaner just last week; both of them had much less steering wheel feedback than my 08 e90 335i or 05 e90 325i. Way too much power steering. Felt as loose as a whales vagina.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 02:02 PM   #19
Draven
C7Z - Darkside
Rep
Drives: '18 Z06 M7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroy View Post
05 e90 325i.
Pics of this machine?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 02:06 PM   #20
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Pics of this machine?
maybe it was a 06 then. was thinking it might have been 05 cause i got a 08 3 years later. first MY e90 iirc.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 02:39 PM   #21
Blacklite
Rep
Drives: None-existent

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sikbmr View Post
op is 12
OP is 18.. where the fuck did this 12 thing come from?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 02:42 PM   #22
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklite View Post
OP is 18.. where the fuck did this 12 thing come from?
op is 10

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0